Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

Is it possible to be able to master over 100 styles of martial arts?

I'm inclined to say no. You could learn 100 different styles. Ever heard the expression: Jack of all trades, Master of none? 

IIE mean NO at Japan. Martial Arts I have practiced require one to fifteen years to master. I not live long enough to master 100 styles. I begin when four year old. Maybe live 85 years. 

No.  Ask an accredited master of any martial arts discipline, and they'll tell you they're still learning.

100 styles yes. mastering NO.

There are martial art systems that contain many styles.

You have to understand martial arts is really a concept. And some styles are related so much you earn blackbelt in 1 style you can fast pace and get that blackbelt.

As for mastery never happen. Also master is the incorrect term. Mastery implies OWNERSHIP. Have to remember many styles came out of feudalism and to resist the "masters" (owner of slaves and people).

Many dislike the term and usage. It is mainly used in western culture so those students can understand the concept and have some structure to it.

I train/study a system that has over 33 styles embedded into it. And this system is as i mention above is a concept. You are taught everything on the right hand side. Example are forms and techniques. You are taught right sided and you have to take that and learn left side on your own. Same with forms. A certain form may have use a standard lets say revers lunge punch. You also are taught many hand strikes. So you replace that punch with say a spearhand. It same form but now a subset, and you have a left and a right to that form. Or you add a strike to a throwing technique. Same with kicking. Same with grappling. This is a reason why all is a concept.

So mastery is never achieved you are always learning and adapting. It is never static. If it becomes static it dies.

• Bon

No, and even if it were possible it would be a waste of time and effort.  Mastering a martial art (or anything else for that matter) is not about collecting bits of knowledge or technique here and there. It is about understanding the fundamental principles that make that specific subject unique from others AND how those principles applies or exists in our everyday life. A style is a perspective from the view of the founder on the world around us. The goal of a martial artist is not about learning every points of view, but to obtain a clearer view on what is combat, life, and everything else in between.

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

interesting answer; also,helpful if Asker would be more specific about whats being meant by 'Master': Authentic Masters of any Authentic Discipline are very unusual, & so,would Asker be meaning if then learning the specific details of 100 particular organisations,which would take hundreds of months

• Steel

No. Even if you could master all 100 of them in a single lifetime, they wouldn't be worth mastering.

• Steel
      2 weeks agoReport

"Mastered" is subjective, apparently. I would say one could be adept after one year, but certainly far from masterhood. It takes time to understand nuance. I don't know why you always invoke the name of Bruce Lee into any number of conversations that have little to nothing to do with him.

It takes decades to learn a single style. And a life time to master just one/

So no its not. 

Down guard, is one simple technique in karate, this technique has thousands of applications, from trapping to striking to grappling. I could spend months teaching the just this one technique and not go over the same application twice. My instructor could spend over a year teaching that one technique and not go over the same application.

• Murzy

"Master" them is huge to even master one. I have been a Black Belt for many years and still have not mastered my style.

• Steel
      3 weeks agoReport

Some disciplines do use the term "Master" as a title, though, so maybe that is the conflict.