What is an easy way to make it difficult for a thief to walk away with a light weight fire safe?

I thought about screwing it to the floor, but then they would just cause $500 damage to my floor when they pry it loose.  

I don't know why they made something made to keep documents safe from a fire so secure, but it requires a 4 number combination AND a key to open.  It doesn't have a handle on the front.  You can't turn the key unless you dial the combination, then you turn the key to open the safe.  If you don't have the key, you can't get in the safe even if you know the combination.  

I don't normally keep much of a stash in that safe, just a few documents that are kind of important to me but wouldn't be of much use to the average thief.  Maybe they'll even find a slip of paper that says "better luck next time charlie".  

The safe itself is worth maybe $50, so I'd rather have them pry open the safe then have them pry up the floor or rip it out of the wall.  I can only hope if they open the safe, they will see the documents inside are worthless to them and leave them.

The safe itself is inside a locked building, so someone would have to break in to access the safe.  

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Put a note in front: "Nothing inside except for worthless documents.  Do not waste your time".

• Edwena
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The crook will not believe you. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Edwena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Don't put anything in it that you can't lose.  Then, if someone steals the safe, the joke is on them for all of the effort.  If the safe is junk, just set it out by the road and write "free" on it.  Somebody will take it, even if they do not have the combination.

• 1 month ago

if your safe is located  in the house,put it in the basement,,use hydraulic cement to anchor it to the floor,

if your employers',,inform him of your concerns,,its his property,

• 1 month ago

Put this verse on it

1 corinthians 6:9-10

Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, [10] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God

• elhigh
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Do you really think somebody breaking in and trying to make off with a safe is going to be put off by a Bible verse?  They broke faith before they ever even broke in, man.  You're just wasting printer paper.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Either you BOLT it of something solid, or it is inherently easy to walk away with.

If they CAN pry it loose, it wasn't properly secured to begin with.

They don't MAKE lightweight safes that require a combination AND a key to open. They also don't make safes without a handle on the door.

Any "safe" you can buy for $50 can OPEN with a pry bar faster than you can dial a 4 number combination.

• 1 month ago

All this angst seems silly when one could just rent a safe deposit box.

• 1 month ago

you've done enough ... it isn't worth any more effort. btw, that photos of the documents with your cell phone and then store the photos on your computer .. added precaution

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nothing is theft proof.

That's the terrible truth.  Nothing.  Given sufficient time and equipment, anyone can steal anything.  The point of safes, locks, even guard dogs is to make it too much a pain in the *** - literally, in the case of guard dogs - to steal something.

So how much value is in that safe?  Is it worth more than the $500 damage thieves will do?

By the by and apropos of nothing, why are you so certain your safe is going to get stolen?  If your security is that poor and the crime rate that high, you don't need a safe - you need to get the hell out of town.  Or move the valuables to someplace that has better security, less crime, or both.  Consider a safety deposit box.

If you have an idea of what kind of sophistication your local criminals are bringing to the party, you can make plans.

If you're dead set on staying put and using the safe, you need to really invest.  You'll need to bolt - NOT screw - the safe to the floor.  Ideally, you'll get right down into the footings and secure the safe to concrete buried under the building.

While you're at it, a monitored security system would be good.  If you can't do that, you will need to devise a system that will set off loud alarms and lots of bright lights when the safe is tampered with.  Bad guys don't like attention.  You want them scared and running.  Frightened people make mistakes, and mistakes on their part lead to opportunities on your part.

Finally, cameras.  All the cameras.  Cameras are cheap and so is storage, so get good cameras with plenty of resolution, low light peformance and lots of capacity in your recording system so when something bad happens, you have plenty of angles to catch faces, license plates and whatnot.  The more information you can gather about bad guys, the more chance law enforcement has of catching them.

• 1 month ago

Screw it to the floor. Thieves are not going to take the time to pry it loose. Thieves get in quick, grab, and get out.

• ...Show all comments
    • elhigh
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I'm not the asker.  He didn't clarify if it was for a home or business.  Estimates for one of our safe thefts put it at taking about 20 minutes - they had to tear through two walls and use a pallet jack.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Leave it unlocked, or leave the key in the lock. I know this seems counterintuitive but it will still protect the contents from fire. Anyone searching is usually doing so in a panic and will immediately see there is nothing worth taking, and importantly that you don't think there is either.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.