So I have a lump in my armpit?

I have a very small lump in my armpit which I noticed 4 hours ago, it's under the skin and hurts to touch and I can feel it when my arm moves and is closed. 

• Edna

You have nothing more than a swollen lymph node in your armpit. Just leave it alone, and it will gradually return to its normal size. It you pick at it or rub it, you're just going to make it more sore and possibly cause it to swell even more.

You have between 500 to 700 lymph nodes scattered all throughout your body - in your face, under your jaw, in your armpits, in your chest, in your groin.  Any time you have the least bit of infection anywhere in your body (even from a bad tooth, or a cold, or something that minor), any one of those lymph nodes will swell in an attempt to help drain the infection from your body. That's a lymph node's job and that's what a lymph node is supposed to do. 

• Mike G

I am so sorry for you.

Lipoma. Maybe. 15 characters.

A lump that popped seemingly overnight and is painful to touch is likely to be a boil, and less likely to be a swollen lymph node.  You will know soon enough which one it is.  Boils expand rapidly and become increasingly painful before bursting open and draining.  Lymph nodes typically stay enlarged for a week or two and then shrink back to normal size. 

Painful to touch is a GOOD sign . . . . . check on it regularly . . . . it will probably go away in a few days . . . . see your doc if it persists.

• ..