Is it possible to celebrate something without glorifying it? If so, how?

• P

Yes, as an example:  I "celebrate" Christmas as a joyful time to spend with the family and ENJOY together

Some chose to "glorify" Christmas by going to church at midnight more as a duty and perhaps suffer, or at least tolerate in meeting the expectatons of others, rather than enjoy and celebrate. Some "glorify" Christmas in terms of how much they spend, or the number of presents they buy. Dudley Dursley's birthday in Harry Potter is an illustration of glorification 

So celebration is unconditional and mutual, glorification is one way and quantified 

• j153e

"Celebrate" originally was a public ritual, whether glad or mournful ("celebrate Mass").  Beginning around the 16th century, it = glad.

"Glorify" is a more upbeat, happy, victory mode.

So, Eeyore wouldn't care to glorify his birthday, but he might celebrate it:  "I was so Upset, I forgot to be Happy."

• P
      1 month agoReport

My birthdays used to be like that, until I lost count 😉

• Mandy

Celebrating and glorifying or not the same thing.  

• Orla

Like, celebrating your birthday ?