Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

I have a friend that is a hoarder. How can I help her?

She doesn't think she is. She is saving everything for a yard sale and will not throw anythng away. I have been hearing this for years. Her whole house is filled with stuff.

Ever watch HOARDERS. 

take small steps, don't change too much too fast.

Offer assistance. Place items for sale (eBay, Craigslist, letgo...) she can keep items but if/when sold must give it up. START SMALL

It's OK if, IF not interfering with lifestyle(safety = clean organized, fire, clear manageable walkways)(health = clutter free, clean, doesn't interfere with finances for food/rent/utilities/credit) 

Bring her more stuff, i guess

i met a hoarder in a psych ward. It is a mental illness i believe. Even inside she would collect things and would walk around with all these plastic bags full of nonsense. But she was a lovely person

Hoarding illnesses require professional help. You will NEVER convince your friend that she has an illness, so don't even TRY. Don't offer to clean. Don't try to shame her, or compare her to other people. This is a really difficult disease to treat, and you won't be able to do anything. Hoarders see things very differently from most other people. They usually don't seek help until they hit rock bottom---they get evicted, or prosecuted, or lose their friends and family over the hoarding--and sometimes even then they refuse to see the problem. 

If she's in danger, (house full of feces/urine/garbage, fire hazard, unable to leave, chronic illness that requires intervention) you can call Family Services and ask if they can do something, but generally, the hoarder has to want to be different and recognize they have a problem before they will listen. It may take more than one try. But that's all you can do--and it may not be a welcome intervention. It almost always has to get very very BAD before help is found. 

• Maxi

You have a friend who is mentally ill, so get her to see and mental health doctor

What has this question at all to do with dogs please

Sounds a lot like me. I was planning a yard sale for about this time & the virus screwed up my plans. But I bought a big Coif Container to keep it all in so it isn't seen by all. I am trying my best to get back to basics & life is simple & uncluttered. I want simplicity now & getting rid of stuff in the house now that I have a place to put it all. organized junk ?

Ask her if she wants to go in on a multi-family garage sale. See if other friends want to go in on it. You often can rent out a space somewhere to do it.. And then advertise it. Many people will go because its like going to multuple garage sales in one spot.

That may encourage her to at least unload some of it

If it's a dangerous situation, advise the Fire Department.  If not, it's not your business.

It's not your problem, so why bother?