Anonymous

Is 17 too young to be a dad?

I didn't realize how much I wanted it until my gf had a false alarm, now I really want us to have a baby but she says no.

Yes.  Way too young. NO babies for a few years yet. You'll thank me later.

At 18 you can not sign a contract for an apartment.

You need to have a full time job with health insurance. The two of you need to be able to pay for rent, utilities, Phone bill, cars insurance gas, and maintenance, or transportation, food, clothing, supplies.  And child care. You either live on one salary or one of you tried to make enough to pay for child are and have something g left over from their paycheck.

Go out and price diapers, formula, baby clothes, crib, stroller, and the 101 one things they need just in the first year. 

At 18 with no experience, education, or special training / trade school your chances at decent salary is slim to none. 

Do you really want your family living paycheck to paycheck, hoping no emergencies pop up that you can’t pay for.

you shouldn't rape her at 17, it's way too early for sex or childbirth. the risk of birth defects is as high at 17 as it is as at 40+. women are grown up at 25, and that's when they can have kids or start enduring sex

• GB

Are you really ready for the responsibility, or do you just want to make a baby?  I suggest you find out about being a sperm donor.

Unless at 17 you have a dependable income that covers not only all your living expenses in your own place (not living with parents) and can accommodate the addition 250K it costs to raise a child to 18 (not counting college) then you're not ready to be a parent. The human brain isn't even fully formed until around 25/26 and so recognizing that you're not thinking maturely at this point might also help quench this desire. Your immaturity is a temporary condition, becoming a parent is not, it's forever.

Of course it is, you will feel like you are shackled to a ball and chain for the next 18 years and possibly forced to pay child support.

It's too young on a few fronts -- for example, where are you going to get the money to raise a child? What are you going to do when you get sick and tired of being home all the time because you don't have a social life due to the fact you have to take care of a child. Where are you going to work? Do you have a good car? If not, you have to buy one, because babies need to go to the doctor (and some of them often).

Diapers cost a lot of money. Then you have to have a crib, sheets, blankets, a car seat, clothing, high chair, etc. None of this is free or cheap.

And finally, i never met a 17 year old boy who was emotionally prepared for marriage, let alone prepared to have a child.

Having a child is a huge responsibility for at least 18 years. I don't think you are equipped to handle it.

Too young for the great majority of guys to be willing and able to care for a child.  I was 21 when my oldest was born, and my wife and I were ready. motivated, and I could easily afford to properly.  In hindsight...we could have used a bit more maturity before having a kid, so that is what I recommend. 

Yes unless you have wealthy parents who want to support all three of you.  

It's not too young to father one but it may be too young to know how to be a proper father.