Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Why am I awkward with people?

Any time I have to interact with people who aren’t direct family or my closest friends (I only have a few of those), I freeze up. Like, I just don’t know what to do around people. For example, my parents have my neighbors over in the backyard right now with the back door open and I was in the kitchen (where the back door is). One of the neighbors saw me and started talking to me, and I pretend not to hear her. When she looked over though and made eye contact with me, I just smiled the most awkward smile and BOLTED out of the kitchen. Why am I like this? I thought it was social anxiety for the longest time, but combined with my lack of empathy around others and general inability (And lack of desire) to communicate with strangers, could it be something else? 

The neighbor asked me if I would be ok with having her daughter come over to bake together. I didn’t reply so my parents did and they said it would be a great idea. The neighbors left. I ran to my room and cried. 

I mentioned in a different question that I have trouble empathizing with people, so here’s an example from about half an hour ago. My sister sister’s friend who is staying with us was crying upstairs when we were about to eat dinner, and my mom went upstairs to see what was wrong. I should have felt kinda bad, I KNOW I should have, but all I wanted was for her to shut up and stop being dramatic. She later said it was because of the man that was killed by the policeman... still felt nothing. 

Could be Asperger's syndrome. I highly recommend looking up some videos about it.

I struggle with the same issues and I recently found out I have Asperger's.

• Carmen

Everyone shows emotions differently not sure why you don’t feel any emotions for certain things or people or situations were you a loved child? A abused child? Have you seen a doctor concerning how you respond to others? Are you just shy? Trying to figure out what makes you tick so to speak whatever is going on if you’re truly concerned and want to get better pray about it y’all about it seriously with your parents a trusted friend or family member it could be medical mental or otherwise don’t give up on yourself there is a answer for everything. 

• Lili

We don't know you, so we can't say exactly what's going on, but seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist for evaluation and treatment might well help. You need a professional opinion, not the comments of amateurs who've never set eyes on you or observed your behavior.

Nothing you've said suggests you actually lack empathy, so I think you may be confused about what that means.  You really do seem to be suffering from what is now called "social anxiety" and what used to be called just intense shyness, but teenagers are often VERY insecure and awkward when they have to communicate with people they don't know, and I have always suspected that the involves brain development issues.  Teenagers' brains are still in the process of developing, and both surging and volatile hormones and various chemicals may play a role in the way they interact -- or find it hard to interact -- with the world.

But therapeutic assessment and work on developing better social skills could help you a great deal.

You worry too much of what other people think of you and that makes you a shy person.   That sometimes comes across to the other person that you are conceited.    Try to at least say hello.     You don’t need to make a long conversation.  If you are not a big talker, that’s ok.   Everyone has their own personality.   Anyway sometimes people that talk too much are sometimes annoying.   

The best thing to do when talking to people is to ask them questions about themselves because everyone likes to talk about themself: it's their favourite subject! Make the conversations about them and it will flow much better I promise.

• Z1 month agoReport

Not always. Introverts hate it when someone asks to about themselves, but that method might work on extroverts.

• GAIA is teaching people everything I've intuited. This reality is something I consciously create. I bring my manifestation from unconsciousness into consciousness. I still do not know who you are or why you changed me. I give a small simple history of events in this video beginning with my abduction...

We are all here, conscious beings, so much more than the physical and materialistic reality... with almost unlimited potential. Why think so small in terms of flesh, animal, greed, wealth? Don't you see the higher dimension of consciousness emerging? You are trying to prevent a higher, better version of your self as well as all conscious being within this physical dimension. We can transcend all limitations but you don't want to.

I see nonsensical fanatical religious views at the front no different or better than any other in nature. Your minds are capable of seeing something limitless, infinite yet you choose not to see it, you choose to keep others blind to it.  You are thinking so materialistically... so grounded in reality... and you aren't thinking from a higher perspective. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jxtxu9lqTg

Youtube thumbnail

• Mr1 month agoReport

You can't be serious, as I am the Only One that was abducted. I have been personally told so by The. I am the sole prophet of The. If you cannot see this then you should get off your high horse and get on a much higher, gigantic, interstellar horse: only that would give you true perspective.

Improve your social interactions, keep talking to anyone you don't know, and stop over thinking about something.

I have been socially awkward my whole life. I never felt comfortable in crowded places or making new friends, from struggling to talk to guys, to feeling afraid I would end up making a fool out of myself in front of people. At some point, I realized I wasn't living my life to its fullest, and that was when I decided to push hard out of my comfort zone, and it wasn't easy, but I did it. I stopped caring about what others might think of me so I purposely started making a fool out of myself in ways which actually helped me develop friendships with the people who complimented my sense of humor and started telling me that I am someone who can cheer them up whenever they are having a bad day.

maybe you should get checked for aspergers

• Thanks Pearl L, for a v lovely answer, come back soon, as you’re very welcome! Cheers Mars