when you christian people go to church, who are you actually praying to: God, Mary or Jesus or the pope ?

just curious in wanting to know as I've never set foot inside a Church ever in my life.

I figured I'd broaden and deepen my understanding and awareness of what non muslims do etc.

so who or what do you pray to inside a church ? do you pray in a church ? or just sing songs ? what happens ?

I am a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

Jesus Christ IS God.  He is God incarnate in a human body, God, the Son.  The other two Persons of the Holy Trinity are God, the Father and God, the Holy Spirit.  So when we pray, it really doesn't matter to which Person of the Trinity we pray to, since They are all one God.  But for what it's worth to you, when I pray by myself, I usually pray to God, the Father.  NOT because I think only He is God, or that He is any way superior to God, the Son, or God, the Holy Spirit, but because He IS my heavenly Father and I find that comforting.   

In a typical service, we usually open with a hymn, then a prayer, then corporate confessions, and then another hymn or a choral anthem.  These are followed by the minister's sermon, then the church offering is collected.  Following this, if it's not a Communion service, the service closes, with final blessings, prayer and a closing hymn.  If it's a Communion service, the Bread and Wine are distributed at the altar, to the congregation, one small group at a time.  Then the service closes, as I described above.

I hope this helps 🙂  But if you take nothing else away from the answers to your question, make it this:  all, ALL Christian denominations, Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant, believe and confess that JESUS CHRIST IS GOD HIMSELF, INCARNATE IN HUMAN FLESH, and that HE IS ONE PERSON OF THE TRIUNE GOD, the other two Persons BEING GOD, THE FATHER and GOD, THE HOLY SPIRIT.   ALL are God, each 100% God, not just each 1/3 God.  Yet They are still ONE God, not three gods.  Any person or group which denies this is NOT CHRISTIAN, period, no matter how they choose to label themselves.

You know that 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 is true.

But 1 × 1 x 1 = 1 is ALSO true 🙂  

Jesus being God, yes. The Pope being just a man, no.  Nobody prays to the Pope.  But we can ask Mary to intercede for us with her Son just as she did at the wedding at Cana.

In the Orthodox Christian Divine Liturgy (Sunday worship) we praise God, we thank him, we worship him, and we pray for the whole world. The Bible readings change from week to week. We listen to the cantor read the Epistle for the day, the priest reads the Gospel and then gives a sermon or lesson based on the Epistle or Gospel, or sometimes both. 

There is a kind of 'dialogue' going on between the priest, the cantor, and  -- if there's a choir that day -- the choir.  Much of the service is chanted and there are many hymns, some sung every Sunday and other which change according to the time of the year.  Parishioners are welcome to join in with the choir, but there is no congregational [whole church] singing except for one hymn at the Easter service.

Communion, or the celebration of the Eucharist, is the most distinctive event of Orthodox worship because in it the congregation remembers and celebrates the Life, Death, and Resurrection of Christ.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian

when you go into a church and you go up to the platform and kneel at the platform or the altar and you begin to pray to the almighty God in heaven the one that created everything the way this works in reality is that other people hear you praying to God because of a need that you have and they feel sorry for you and they go to meet your need example oh my God me and my children are starving and can't pay the bills please help us well a bunch of people heard the person pray that at the altar and they have human compassion and they help the person that is starving with children that can't pay their bills that's why people pray out loud in church! that is the reality of how God works in this day and age he works through other people. That's why praying out loud is so effective because other people hear your prayer and help to answer your prayer out of human compassion.

God.  Jesus as well, because Jesus is God. Some pray through saints, but, not all Christians do this.

The services I go to (Anglican) have a lot of prayer, and a lot of Scripture is also recited.  There is also singing, which can be a form of prayer.

You should visit a church some day!  Or, several of them.  There are differences in worship style amongst the different denominations.

I pray to the Father in the name of Jesus as Jesus told us to pray.  It is the Holy Spirit who helps my prayers to the Father God and it is He who teaches me all things concerning Christ Jesus.

What I hear from my experience is that they pray to God, in Jesus' name.

Christians are instructed to pray to God the Father, in the name of our Lord, God the Son, Yeshua, except we may pray the pray of thanks giving to Yeshua the Son. But all other prayers are addressed to the Father in the name of Yeshua, the Son.  In Church we worship God, we hear His word preached, for our edification, we fellowship, pray and sing. Its like a big family gathering, coming together in the presence of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Do you live under a rock?  Can you not look up church services on Youtube?  Do you not have an intelligent thought in your mind?  Who else would they be praying  to?  A squirrel?  Good grief!   

• Paul

In Church we worship God, and God alone. We also may ask some of the saints in Heaven, like Mary, to intercede (pray) for us, just as we ask fellow Christians on Earth to intercede (pray) for us. No-one prays TO the Pope, though we may pray FOR the Pope, that God may guide Him in his unique role in God's Church.