cat6 hard wired internet speed is around 900mbps. when i run the cat6 cable through a surge protector, it drops it to 90mbps. normal?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

if the protector is old it may not be designed for 900mbps 

go buy a new one and REALIZE if it cost less than $100.00 it is not a real surge protector .... the $15.00 ones are power strips 

like being in a snow storm with a t-shirt,,, better than naked but not much help 

• VP
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Either tell us the make & model of your surge device or read your surge device's User Manual and find out what speed the surge's Ethernet port is rated.  You want to see it listed as a 1 Gb port.

• 7 months ago

Do not run through surge protector..

• 7 months ago

The surge protector is either miswired, or only has two of the four pairs connected though, as needed for 10/100 mbit ethernet.

For whichever reason, the end-to-end wiring is messed up and the devices are only able to negotiate 100 mbit rate rather than 1 gbit rate.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anton
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Not normal, bad surge protector.   WTF are you using a surge protector for?  You only need a surge protector if the cable is going aerial outside.

• 7 months ago

No I wouldn't consider that normal.  

Just be aware that the surge protector isn't likely rated for Cat6.  I doubt there is such a thing as Cat6 grade surge protector.  

You only need Cat6 if you're going to run 10Gbps Ethernet over twisted pair, so at 900Mbps Cat6 is overkill.   I doubt Cat6 has anything to do with the performance change, more than likely something is wrong with the surge protector.  You could rule that out by using a Cat5E jumper(s) instead of Cat6.  Cat5E is more than capable of carrying 1Gbps Ethernet.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.