Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 3 months ago

How can I push my child into making straight A’s? ?

She does competitive cheerleading and the season starts again soon. She will enter the 7th grade in September and she recently had All B’s but prior to online schooling from covid-19 she had mostly C’s. I don’t get it because her brother is in the band, beta club, and soccer team and still makes Straight A’s but she is too stupid I guess. She also isn’t well disciplined and I imagine that her dream of her wanting to become a nurse won’t be easy for her. Smart kids never make below a B but she refuses to listen to that. Sometimes she forgets about a test the next day and she struggles to pay attention in class (again smart people never have those issues). 

• L
    4 days ago

NOT ALL kids get straight A's.  I raised three kids and they all got different grades.  So, you can NOT push a child into getting straight A's if that's not for them.  Just appreciate she does not get F's.

1 week ago

I don't want to sound horrible, but... you're acting like a crap parent. A good parent will accept all of their children's strengths and weaknesses, as well as what they enjoy. C's is where she should be. That's all she needs. If she's getting better than that - even a C+ - she's excelling. I have a son who does mountain biking and he loves that but gets average grades at school. My daughter does netball in Div 3, theatre, music, and gets A's at school, but on the occasion she gets lower than that and is down about it I make sure she knows that as long as she puts in the effort and behaves it's okay. My son has great friends who help him whenever he's struggling, so as long as you support her and make sure she surrounds herself with great friends it should be fine.

Don't pressure her. That's the worst thing you could do and it will distance you from her.And never - NEVER - call your daughter stupid. That's horrible and the absolute OPPOSITE of the kind of parent you should try to be. Stupid? No. She is not stupid. Always remember that. And all children (almost especially smart ones who get bored of class easily and face high expectations and pressure) have off days where they can't focus - gosh, sometimes my daughter comes home and when I ask her how class was she says, "Oh, I just watched anime all class." (This happens a lot in Maths on rainy days).Finally, since I can see you've been getting a lot of hate (including from me), it's okay, She's only Grade 6 now, right? If you fix your relationship with her now then it'll be okay throughout high school.

Support her. Trust that she can get better.

It's the effort that counts. Not the mark.

You are a terrible mother. Bs and Cs are great. I am smart, and I have had Cs. Not everyone is perfect. Good parents never call their kids stupid.

NEVER! call your own daughter stupid. It can make her feel less of herself, and would probably try less in school. How about apologize and talk to her.

Some people shouldn't have kids

You are a fool to compare your children''s school grades. Calling her stupid is also disrurbing. Poor child. I can imagine she already feels less approved of  or loved than her sibling. What a pity

I have two sons One son had his homework finished lickity-split and got A''s and B's. He even was diagnosed with ADD and trust me, he was a handful to control and dicipline. Whereas, his brother struggled with school and homework took him hours on end to complete every day. He did not have ADD like his brother. And he never gave us any problems as he was happy go lucky and very obedient.

I never compared them or called my child stupid  like you have.

You cannot push your children to get A''s if it is not in their make-up. However, you can support good study habits, make sure try eat well and get the sleep they need.

The only thing my children were allowed to plug-in in their bedrooms was a lamp. No electronics allowed in bedrooms. So, monitor and oversee homework.

Oh  by the way, my good student child is now 34  living with his dad.

My son who barely made the grade is self employed with three employees and renting a house to own.  He just renovated my house and did a fantastic job.

So, mother, careful who you call stupid and smart.

No.1 It is not ok to call your child stupid, it will make her feel terrible and even if it is not to her face, everyone is stronger in some things than others. Let her find out what that is in her own time- she may not be studying it right now.

No.2 smart people do struggle to pay attention in class, everyone does. You can only fully focus for 40 minutes.

No.3 She is still young and putting pressure on her to get perfect grades will only make her more stressed. When she is older, she will probably get worse grades because she will feel as if if it is not perfect, then it is not good enough. So she could just stop trying altogether. I have seen this in many kids, it may not happen, but don't push her that much.

No 4. No one can always try their best. Let her take breaks and be kind, it is a hard time for everyone.

No 5. She is like 11 or 12!!!Don't put so much pressure on her at such a young age. My 16 year old was playing video games with his friends all day at 11 and he passed all of his exams with good marks and ADHD.( she could have ADHD but she probably doesn't, I promise you every kid struggles to concentrate at some point)

No 6. She doesn't need amazing marks right now to get a decent job, and in the long run they won't really affect her future.

Edit: I just realised that this is probably a troll lol

Two options here:

A) You are trolling. Get off the internet

B) You are serious, in which case your child needs to be removed from your home and someone needs to slap the sht out of you.

Troll smarter, not harder.

Trolling, trolling, trolling