Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesJeep · 2 months ago

buying a 1999 jeep cherokee with 270k miles? good idea or not?

for $2300, it is a 5 speed manual, which is rare on cherokees... interior is clean, exterior is a little rough around the edges but is nothing hard to fix, and needs a little cosmetic work.

Get this car? or pay 3 times more for one with lower miles

• John

Maybe a year ago I bought my 2002 with around 125K miles and it was $5500, I think. Leather and it's in fairly superb shape. You might do well. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for any car with over 200,000 miles on it, no matter what.

Maybe a 1938 Rolls.

Don’t do it.  Someone is taking advantage of you.  

• Marvin

Jeeps have a good record for reliability, and good resale value, but 2300 seems a bit high. I think 1500 is more fair (even if it is a 5 speed). 

I was able to get $6000 in only 20 minuets after placeing my 2002 Jeep in Criagistlist.  It had over 125K miles on it, and some hail damage.  That is not bad when you consider I paid only 21K back in 2002. But do not count on that when the miles get over 200k.

i WOULDN'T BUY IT IF SOMEONE GAVE ME THE MONEY. MILEAGE IS WAY TOO HIGH. A '99 TOYOTA FJ LAND CRUISER, YES.

• F

I had a 2000 Cherokee new, and by 2004 it was falling apart with only 25000 miles  . God knows what it would be like now, certainly not worth $2300.

Get it for not more than $600.  It could be a good hobby vehicle.  A daily driver?  Not just no but f#@$ no.

It will likely need the brakes done. They all have caliper slides that seize up so bad new calipers are often needed. The clutch will need replacing soon if the pedal grabs higher then 2" off the floor.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Offer $1,200, settle for $1,500. If it's taken care of it can last a long time. I own a plane that was built in 1954 and am very comfortable taking her up anytime.

If you have $600 to lose, buy this one. 

If you don't... continue your shopping.

Pay $2300 for this one and the seller is going to be screaming S U C K E R as you pullout of the driveway.

• Jay P

I wouldn't pay that much for a 20+ year old vehicle with more than a 1/4 million miles on it.