Is COVID-19 your first experience with a pandemic?

Has your perspective or empathy been changed by it?

• Jamie

I was around during SARS in 2004 or whenever but I regard Covid -19 as my first . It has changed my perspective in that I am seeing how death and economic damage are putting humans in their place .

Yes. I remember hearing about SARS and MRSA and all of that in my lifetime, But I don’t recall everyday life having to change like it has with the coronavirus. But I live in an area that hasn’t been that highly affected, So other than having to wear masks and stay 6 feet apart, I haven’t really noticed that much of a change. I have a friend that lives up in the Detroit area and they’ve literally not been allowed to leave their homes because of how bad it was up there. Here in my state, people were still allowed to go to parks and stuff like that so it wasn’t as bad

No, I got the flu going around in the 60s and was very sick for a while. It killed somewhere between 1 and 4 million people world-wide.

Every flu season is a pandemic.  

AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria, heart disease, cancer, the common cold and substance abuse are all pandemics.  

A pandemic is a widespread disease.  

I was a lay minister when the flu got to at least epidemic levels in the US and we had to make changes to how church operated accordingly. In COVID, all the biggest scumbags in the world are home and looking for something to do, just out in their yards and such.

Not everybody decides to sell crack in the ghetto or beat their wife in a broke down car. You can build a better life for yourself by selecting where you go and who you interact with. Not anymore.

There have been many pandemics in my lifetime.

The way over the top fear and panic were new and hopefully will never happen again.  It's absolutely unnecessary and ridiculous.  

In the vast majority of places we could have done things to slow the spread without closing everything down.  And those at risk could have stayed home.  

And in the few places that were hotspots a few more precautions could have been put in place.

What we actually did is madness!

I remember swine flu but it wasn't like this, I don't remember seeing everyone walking around with masks like I do now when I go out -.- the world didn't stop either

No, it is not the first - since the last decade the worldwide pandemy is called imbecility.

Zika, H1N1 (Swine flu), AIDS, H5N1 (Avian flu).

Covid disproportionately effects old white males as opposed to the healthy or children like other pandemics