Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Health & Safety · 2 months ago

Do travel medications like Bonine really work when it comes to avoiding travel sickness on an airplane?

This is something I want to know because I’ve had problems with motion sickness. And I’ve heard that taking off, turbulence while flying and landing are pretty brutal, so I was wondering if Bonine actually works. It also says on the bottle to take 1 to 2 tablets. And I wonder if I would be ok if I just took 2 the first time. I wanna go to Greece in the next couple years.

• RICK

Yes they work

They make some people drowsy 

• Mark

Yes, it works, but they tend to make you kind of sleepy.  (It's basically an antihistamine.)

First try the medication when you are at home and don't wait until you are on a plane. You need to know if it does things like knock you out, which would not be OK. 

Then find out if you actually get airsick on a commercial flight before taking any medications. Very few people experience airsickness on commercial flights today. You can wait until you are in the air before taking anything. 

• james

Sip some tonic water.  It helps prevent leg cramps in some on flights. & is like 7 up for rough spots.  It is worth giving a try. Some it works for. Others not. 

• drip

I take Bonine or Dramamine when flying. I have always had motion sickness.  

Taking off and landing are not brutal at all. Just chew some gum for the change of pressure in your ears. It will help them pop. 

Turbulence always gets to me. Sip on 7-up or ginger ale the whole trip. 

Don’t know where you live.  How long of a flight is it for you.  If it is over four hours I would take 1 tablet before you board and another one after four hours. 

Taking two at the same time can make you very sleepy. I find even the non drowsy can possibly make you sleepy. 

I only take two at the same time if I am already dizzy. 

Bonine works as good as anything out there

I used to have bouts of vertigo. Bonine let me continue to function without throwing up. It didn't stop the whirling. On a normal flight, there's very little motion to make you sick - I can't read while we're taking off, but I can't read in a car, either. Once we're in the air, it's usually smooth. If you hit some turbulence, it's like going over bumps in a car. 

i would ask your doctor about it or if you want to ask this on healthtap.com a real doctor will email you back

• John

I seem to be particularly immune to motion sickness. But I've always heard Dramamine recommended. I don't know what Bonine is.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-10007/dramamine...

I heard that Dylan is a jimmy EING

• Dylan2 months agoReport

Thanks Thunder. Not that it’s a big deal or anything, I was just wondering how he found out my first name although I clicked the anon button.