What's the best way to stop rust on my chrome bumper with a small scratch.?

I have about a 3 inch scratch on the chrome bumper that has just begun to show a little rust.

I'll sand it down with steel wire but what should I apply to the area to stop future rust?

• JetDoc

If there is rust showing, then the scratch has gone through the chrome plating and into the base metal. There is no way for a simple repair to make it look like original chrome plating again. If you just want to prevent more rust from forming, sand down the scratch and paint over it with a clear or silver colored touch-up paint.

You could try furniture wax.  Anything that will form a protective barrier between the steel under the chrome and the water and oxygen in the air.

• Todd

Some people use WD-40. The guys at the cycle shop where I go like to use Boeshield T-9, which seems to be more resilient.  They say it's a superior product for protecting metals prone to corrosion. Personally, I'd keep applying it every once in a while, because it's not a permanent fix. There are some paints you might be able to use if you don't care about how it might look.

• Mark

Clear Nail Polish.  Give it a touch up every few  months.

I have a Bottle of Clear Nail Varnish with a  brush for small scratches works Great