Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

Personal Injury Questions. Son tripped on Terrarium Gerbil Cage and cut himself very baldly.?

Okay, so we got a Gerbil and bought a cute Terrarium Glass Cage for the Gerbil and my son had it on the floor. He accidentally tripped on it and the glass shattered and he cut his legs up really badly with one cut requiring 14 stitches. Now this Terrarium has a cute turtle and frog and snake so it looks like its clearly marketed to catch a child s eye. So my questions is that shouldn t the manufacturer use safer glass when making these cages, especially if they are meant for kids and their pets. I know there are laws about using special glass for showers in bathrooms and that they make it so they that it breaks into tiny little pieces. So I am wondering if I would have a case.

Hard to believe this has happened 4 weeks in a row.

Yes, you're a case.  Not legal, of course, but a case nevertheless.

Oh, what you did is child neglect, in case you care.

My answer is no different from ALL the other times you've asked this.  Your son must be a real dolt if this happens to him every 2 weeks, give or take.

Cages are one thing and tanks are another, something I've also explained before.  A "glass cage" is impossible.

But, yes, by all means if it will keep you from asking this over and over and over again, retain legal counsel.  Will the outcome be that you should have been smarter, that you should supervise better, that you were negligent?  Probably.

But I say - go for it!

I totally agree with you and I am NOT a lawyer, I just don’t think you would get much for your efforts. To me the strain and stress of a court battle would be too much. If you really want to sue then you should consult a lawyer and see what he or she thinks.

Game over,,your fault not supervising.

• *****

You can talk to an attorney, but you'll almost certainly be told you have no case and you're solely at fault. I mean...it's glass. Glass is obviously going to be a hazard when broken. It shouldn't be left lying on the floor, and care needs to be exercised around things made of glass. Does your kid go running full-tilt at your windows? Because most of them will shatter into dangerous sharp pieces, too. 

No, you don't have a case.  Child Protective Services MIGHT have a cse because you put something that was dangerous on the floor where a child could trip on it OR you didn't supervise your child.

Your question is laughable.  

I'm sorry about his injuries.

Glass terrariums are not meant to be kicked, fallen on or used on the floor as toys.   You are the negligent one IMO.

If the terrarium had been on a table or shelf it wouldn't have been tripped over and even if it had been pushed off and shattered, it wouldn't have cause injuries in legs requiring 14 stitches because your son would still be on his chair or on his feet.

Sue the manufacturer and the only thing that might happen is they'll put a warning on the packaging instructing users that the glass is breakable, the item isn't a toy, supervise children, etc.   Pretty common sense stuff that up until now didn't really need to be said?

By the way, broken glass can be VERY dangerous if you fall on it even if it just breaks instead of shattering.   Your son could have been seriously impaled, lost his spleen or an eyeball or worse.   Keep glass up off the floor and out of the tripping path. 

• ajar2 months agoReport

We just got the cage, it was on the floor because we were still deciding where to put it. Also someone could easily trip or run into the Terrarium if it were on the shelf as well, except this time a child's face would of been scarred for life.