Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 2 months ago

Anyone else not impressed or see the big deal of a 4k tv ?

I went from six year old 40 inch 1080p element which was $300 at original purchase to $1000 ,

55 inch 4k Samsung.  I have tried both streaming 1080p and 4k.  I have tried both playing 1080p and 4 disc.  I can't see the difference.  I made sure the 4k movie was a true 4k disc not 2k upscaled.  I played Terminator 2 which is a real 4k disc or source.  The only reason for the new tv the sound is going out on the Element so I figured go big so I purchased what everyone rated 5 stars. 

I do not watch mine anymore, prefer the radio

told this xxx times,my zenith is a color tuber made 1991,paid 80 bucks,delivery  incl,,PLUS an old refridge made in the 50s,,both  delivered and moved inside ( thrift shop did this,now driven out of business by rules taxes and the 13 dollar minimum wage)

the zenith has neat color tones,a like new pic,pretty neat definition in tracking colors in the predator series,,forest backgrounds,blues,, sorta like old fisher audio receivers  melllooowwww tones,not so blaring and loud,balances sound and pic,,,the  zenith often gets a full screen pic from free tv stations,stereo multi ch audio,hi def audio,stable signal with the analog from digital converter,

a lot of you tube music concerts are also screen fillers,,,drawback on the zenith is widescreen sigs are lopped off top n bottom on you tube productions/ whaddya 'spect for 80 bucks? actually 35 bucks, heheheheh

As my wife and I get older (we both wear glasses) and started sliding the couches a little closer to the TV (a 40" Insignia, 720p, we've had for the last 5 years) we decided to go with a larger set and fortunately our entertainment center can accommodate one.  

I got a 55" Insignia 4K.  We also recently upgraded our cable package since we are now both working from home.  Our speeds can easily handle 8k streaming now although I run LAN lines to most everything.  I also purchased a new Apple TV 4K and a Shield TV Pro and a new Sony 4K DVD player with the good Monoprice 48Gbps cables.

I will say I was impressed the most by TV shows that I download off torrents stating they are 1080p rips.  They have that video look and look like I'm really there.  Amazing how clear the picture is.  It reminds me of that Hobbit movie that Peter Jackson released in theaters running a different shutter where everything looked like you were on the set.  We then tried streaming some actual 4K through Apple TV and Disney+ and it looks pretty good too.   Although the Mandalorian series never achieved that like you are there feeling.  They have some kind of strange color pallet in that show I'm thinking.

I then heard people say you have to get 4K DVD to truly appreciate what the platform has to offer as that will blow away the compressed 4K streaming video.

I got a dozen or so DVDs that sites said were reference video for this format to judge by and I've gotta say I am NOT impressed with 4K DVDs at all.  Considering the movie on a DVD is probably 30-60 gig, and these measly 250 meg downloads I get on torrents blow away the DVDs I don't understand it.

My Insignia is a lowly $299 LED set.  Maybe I need OLED or QLED to see a truly stunning picture?  I personally will not pay those prices for a TV however. 

I'm not impressed even by HD.

525 (480i) / 29.97 works well enough for me.

Well, the T2 4K disc apparently leaves a lot of be desired as far as quality so it may not be the best source.

But a lot has to do with how far away you are viewing the TV. If you are more than roughly 9 ft and comparing a 40in to 55 inch you are probably not going to be able to tell much difference in picture quality.

Presumably your whole pathway is 4K capable ? So is your Blu-Ray player (?) up to it? Cabling *should* be ok...

• Sandy

yeah I don't get it either. both are good quality pictures. maybe our eyes are the problem! LOL!