Paula asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 8 months ago

Why are german women´s mostly slimmer than british and american women?

I have the impression that German women are mostly slimmer than british and american women. On the photo I with a german. My friend says that is fast food and chips against sauerkraut.

• Having lived in Germany for several years I never, ever, saw anyone or heard of anyone eating Sauerkraut, in the Alsace yes but it was called Vin d'Alsace or choucroute,  Not unlike the French who apparently eat frogs legs. Well I live there now and perhaps just 1 in 100,000 have ever tried it. You Americans have such a vivid if not jaded view of other peoples eating habits.

Based purely on my anecdotal observations in 4 journeys to Germany (2005, 2008, 2010, 2011), your comment is valid only in the ex-Deutsche Demokratische Republik states of the east.  Many women there grew up in the Bolshevist regime that lacked a lot of food or a lot of fatty food.  However, even in the western states the heavier women are generally much less so than many women I see in N.American cities.  (Some of these should never wear red, lest they be mistaken for members of the Calgary Stampeders offensive line).   

I can't address the U.K. (never been there) but compared to Canada & the U.S., Germany is tiny (Fits almost 2X in Alberta), but has much higher population density & superior public transit.  As a result, my wife never learned to drive or bothered to have a car when living there.  She mostly used a bicycle or walked.    

According to a  study by the International Association for the Study of Obesity, in Germany 58.9 percent of women are overweight. This is higher than in Britain (although the British have a slightly higher percentage of obese women). The US is higher than Germany in terms of both overweight and obese women, although not significantly (at around 69 percent.) The statistics for overweight and obese men are similar to those for women in all three countries. Countries like Italy and France have a lower percentage of overweight people, but they are both becoming increasingly fatter.

Wherever you live, a healthy diet and plenty of exercise will keep you slim, fit, and healthy. The problem in the West in general, is that people eat way too much fast food, live a sedentary lifestyle, and too many people accept fat as "normal." 

Ich habe Familie in Magdeburg, Saalfeld, Cochem und Neustadt und kann mit absoluter Sicherheit feststellen, dass die Auswahl an Frauengrößen dort fast identisch mit der Auswahl unserer Größen in Großbritannien ist. Einige sind dünn wie ich & Laura oder winzig wie Mum & Gran, andere sind riesig, aber die meisten sind irgendwo in der Mitte.

I have family in Magdeburg, Saalfeld, Cochem and Neustadt and I can state with absolute certainty the range of women's sizes over there matches almost identicaly the range of our sizes in the UK. Some are skinny like me & Laura or tiny like Mum & Gran others are huge but most are somewhere in the middle.

The real reason Germans are some of the thinnest and fittest people in the world is that they walk a lot in their day-to-day lives. Yes, it’s really that simple – while some 80% of Americans have a car, in Germany, the figure is closer to 50%. This means that the average total of steps taken per day by Germans is around 10,000, as opposed to America’s 5,000. All that walking really adds up, to the tune of 1,400km (870 miles) a year, equivalent to the distance between Brussels and Barcelona.

So if you want to be as slim as the Germans, first make sure you are at least 175cm (5ft 9in) tall, then ditch the white bread, embrace the cake and get those boots-a-walking.

Source(s): The real reason Germans are some of the thinnest and fittest people in the world is that they walk a lot in their day-to-day lives. Yes, it’s really that simple – while some 80% of Americans have a car, in Germany, the figure is closer to 50%. This means that the average total of steps taken per day by Germans is around 10,000, as opposed to America’s 5,000. All that walking really adds up, to the tune of 1,400km (870 miles) a year, equivalent to the distance between Brussels and Barcelona. So if you want to be as slim as the Germans, first make sure you are at least 175cm (5ft 9in) tall, then ditch the white bread, embrace the cake and get those boots-a-walking.

Eating habits. You also might remember in Germany when the restaurants serve food they don't serve double portions like they do in the U.S. More times as not it's barely enough to keep you alive. There is also simple diet. Cabbage, vegetables, chicken and maybe a little pork. Pizza, buffalo wings, and 12 ounce ribeyes are practically unheard of.

Grow up..............

German women typically look like a diesel locomotive on steroids.