Am I legally allowed to be friends with this girl?

I’m a 21 year old guy and I recently became online friends with a girl in my town, we have never met in person. We have each other on Instagram and Snapchat. I found out recently she is 17. We are only friends and I truthfully don’t have romantic prospect on her, but she wants to meet up with me and hang out. And I don’t feel like getting locked up. Am I legally allowed to be friends with this girl who is still in high school?? What are the repercussions for this or should I. Just back out??

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Ha, I'm in the same situation. The guy and I have been hanging out a lot and it has been fine. If people ask how old I am I say I'm 18 (not technically a big lie since I'm closer to 18 than 17 XD) As long as you guys stay friends until shes 18, you'll be fine.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • A X
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In the USA, legal comes into play if you kiss, put your hands on her in a sexual manner, or have sex with her. Just being friends in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to be in front of her parents isn't a legal issue... assuming she tells the truth. That last part can be a problem due to the drama too many teenage girls can cause. I suggest you wait until she's 18... when everything is legal in every state and a little drama has no legal repercussions.

• 2 months ago

Yes you can be friends but make sure you keep it that way.

• JimTom
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Yes of course, if you are just friends thats fine, no one will second guess her age if youre out in public. Plus in less than a years time she will be 18 anyway

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Whats her insta

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Never heard of laws forbidding being friends except maybe at the height of the Jim Crow laws separating black and whites.

• Kevin
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

nothing illegal about being friends.you need to look up the laws and determine for yourself if you want to be hanging around a 17 year old

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.