Am I legally allowed to be friends with this girl?

I’m a 21 year old guy and I recently became online friends with a girl in my town, we have never met in person. We have each other on Instagram and Snapchat. I found out recently she is 17. We are only friends and I truthfully don’t have romantic prospect on her, but she wants to meet up with me and hang out. And I don’t feel like getting locked up. Am I legally allowed to be friends with this girl who is still in high school?? What are the repercussions for this or should I. Just back out??

Ha, I'm in the same situation. The guy and I have been hanging out a lot and it has been fine. If people ask how old I am I say I'm 18 (not technically a big lie since I'm closer to 18 than 17 XD) As long as you guys stay friends until shes 18, you'll be fine.

• A X

In the USA, legal comes into play if you kiss, put your hands on her in a sexual manner, or have sex with her. Just being friends in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to be in front of her parents isn't a legal issue... assuming she tells the truth. That last part can be a problem due to the drama too many teenage girls can cause. I suggest you wait until she's 18... when everything is legal in every state and a little drama has no legal repercussions.

Yes you can be friends but make sure you keep it that way.

• JimTom

Yes of course, if you are just friends thats fine, no one will second guess her age if youre out in public. Plus in less than a years time she will be 18 anyway

Whats her insta

Never heard of laws forbidding being friends except maybe at the height of the Jim Crow laws separating black and whites.

• Kevin

nothing illegal about being friends.you need to look up the laws and determine for yourself if you want to be hanging around a 17 year old