Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 months ago

My “diet” is that I starve myself to be skinny?

I’m an adult woman - 29 in NYC. I’m 5’ 4” and 124 lbs so fairly slim and have a decent figure but feel like I look skinny when I drop down to 118ish which is what I usually do for summer bikini season. That’s when I have a perfectly flat stomach and can look in the mirror feel good. 

Anyways I was out with some friends the other day and we’re all pretty slim but one of them just remarked “haha Im thin but I have to go back to being ‘skinny’” and the other went “yeah me too but it’s so hard - I basically starve myself.” 10 mins into this conversation I realized that all 3 of us basically skip meals and stop eating to look the way we do. For me personally to slimdown from that “everyday thin” 124 lbs to actually skinny at 118 lbs I eat 1 self-limited meal a day. But I love the look.But it was the first time I heard people actually admit that was what they were doing because I had been doing this for years. On the surface we’re just a nurse, an engineer, and an accountant, but behind it all we starve ourselves to be skinny. And I’m sure we’re not the only ones. But when people ask how I lost weight and stay thin I reply oh I’m just eating healthy and working out. They don’t know that I actually just don’t eat. I went home that day and instead of being upset about the societal pressures to stay thin i stared at my stomach in the mirror and how it wasn’t fully flat. And then I decided I wouldn’t eat breakfast.Because that’s how I stay skinny. But surely I’m not the only one?

• lila

Just because you and your 2-3 other friends starve themselves to look skinny does NOT mean that the rest of the world is lying when they say they eat healthy and exercise to lose weight.

not smart to do ever so stop it this a damn way to end up dead, or a shell of of your body. your hurting so many people for a ego trip. and fooling guys if single your not slim cause of health you stave you that's lying the line must be drawn here  

You should not starve yourself! Maybe consult a local doctor and get on a meal plan that is right for you :)

Shapely woman workout; weak frail  women just diet-- your best bet is to work out you can and will fill better at 120 pounds then say then ruining your metabolism at 118 pounds. It's just my opinion.

That was a really long boring story with no question at the end of it. This is a Q&A site. Ask a question.

If you all adopted the Ketogenic lifestyle, you'd never have to starve yourselves thin again. You'd just stay that way.

• kelvin

nope it means you are all idiots and are all gonna die

Don’t starve yourself, starving yourself in the long run will do more damage than good

I wouldn't prioritize that now with food shortages

• Miguel

No you are not alone. Lots of girls have problems "accepting" their bodies or always feel like it could be better. Skipping meals obviously isnt the best way to stay thin. Actually exercising and eating good. Will make you really feel and look good.