cmac'm
Lv 5
cmac'm asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 months ago

Joe Biden picks Barack H. Obama as Vice president, can you see it happening?

Update:

Nothing in the Constitution about Vice presidents and term limits. You can't be "elected" president more than twice.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • BB
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Why on Earth would anyone want to risk another disaster with that Obama character??!!  He did enough damage.....Enough already!!

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

He's not going to do that. The first off, there's a real constitutional question about whether a former president could run for vice president. A president is limited to only two terms in office and there's an argument that this would preclude them from running for vice president as well. It's not Ironclad certainly, but it's something that would absolutely positively be litigated at the Supreme Court. This would not sure the Democrats well. At best, it would create a messy controversy when they should be trying to attack Trump. At worst, it would be a huge embarrassment as they lose the case and have to get another Vice Presidential nominee on the Fly. Furthermore, if Biden picked his former Superior as his vice president there would be endless speculation that Obama was really the power behind the throne. It wouldn't serve Biden well at all. finally, it's not clear that a Obama vice presidential pick would bring anything to the ticket. Fighting is strong with many of the same demographics that Obama is. So instead he should be looking for someone who helps him with areas where he is weak

• 7 months ago

u_bin_called makes a good argument, except that they forgot to read the second part of the 22nd Amendment:

and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once.

That basically means that someone who served, regardless of elected or not, for more than half of one term can serve more than one more term.

Well, Obama served two full terms. Thus, it's a basic legal point that the part of 22 I quoted makes Obama, and any other already-served-two-terms President from being eligible to become President again under any circumstances.

And, the notion that that kind of a VP selection would become the big political story would not be good for a Presidential candidate who make such a Constitutionally flawed choice.

So, it ain't gonna happen. I could see a President Biden appointing Barack Obama to the SCOTUS, though, and that would be a very good choice indeed.

• 7 months ago

many will say that would be "impossible" due to the Constitution....but there is, in fact, enough "wiggle room" to warrant a court challenge...

at the center of the debate is the 12th Amendment which states "no person ineligible to be elected President" shall be eligible to hold the office of Vice President... and the 22nd Amendment which states no President that has served two terms can be elected President for a third term...

the argument centers around the use of the word ELECTED, which does not legally exclude becoming President via succession and whether or not "eligibility" in the 12 Amendment (originally written and ratified relating to the eligibility requirements in Article I) could be automatically applied to standards ratified a century later...

as unlikely as it may seem, the notion is still possible because it has never been challenged in court...

that said, it's unlikely Biden would consider such a move because a) the required court case would serve as a major distraction from his campaign and b) Obama's credibility and influence is still highly questionable....as evidenced by the candidate's lukewarm references to him and the continued groundswell of anti-establishment sentiment within the party..

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

That was posited on The View. Interesting possibility, although I'd rather see Bloomberg as VP. Bloomberg's views on domestic matters sound good to me but he need experience in diplomatic matters. He could get that working with Biden.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

In your dreams kid.

• helene
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

He can't. Obama's done.

Edit: There's plenty in the constitution about it. Obama is no longer constitutionally eligible to serve as president, so he can't be vice president.

• 7 months ago

Just hope the poor fool doesn't pick Hillary.

He'll end up committing "suicide" if he wins.

• 7 months ago

I highly doubt that would happen.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Obama endorsed Bloomberg. I think Biden felt a little put off. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.