2013 Jeep Wrangler ?

Just a question about my jeep wrangler. Not sure what this exact part goes to, or if it’s important for the jeep. I’m about to take it off roading for the first time, and I’m not sure if this part is important or not based on the lift and the tires that I put on after I purchased it

Sway bar link. OK not to have on while off-roading (a lot of people disconnect them specifically when they off-road.)

That’s an anti-roll bar link, also known as a sway-bar link. 

It artificially limits suspension travel compared to the opposite wheel on the same axle so vehicles used solely for off-roading don’t tend to have them.

But any road legal vehicle which has them as part of the design MUST have them when driven on the road. Your vehicle will already be even more unstable with it’s new higher centre of gravity, but without the roll-bar connections it could be dangerously unstable when cornering. Driving carefully and defensively is already an absolute requirement, but you cannot plan ahead for sudden emergencies which may force you to swerve. That’s when you’ll be most at risk of your vehicle losing control and rolling over.

The original bars will be too short if you have raised the suspension, so you need to fit new ones of the correct length. There are versions which can be quickly disconnected for serious off-roading, or you fit regular versions and attach them with castellated nuts and keep a supply of split-pins as they should not be re-used.

Sway bar link.

That looks like a sway bar link. I'd make sure you get the right length links if raising the suspension keeps them form going back on because of the lift.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

maybe you should get a mechanic to check it out