Why is it so hard to stop eating fast food ?

I want to stop gaining weight but I have a fast food addiction and it’s hard for me to completely stop. 

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Msg is one......

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

'Junk food' is full of calories, but empty of protein or carbs, so you don't feel full.  The best thing you can do, is to stop buying it and stock your kitchen store cupboards with easy ingredients, like pasta, a handful is the same size as your stomach, so you don't need that much, mix it with some lean protein, like tinned tuna, boiled egg, chicken breast or lean beef.  Fry an onion, add a tin of tomatoes and a pinch of dried herbs and chop a carrot, and some green veg, like brocoli, spinach etc...

Make a risotto, only takes 30 mins, start with chopped onion, then chopped carrots or parsnips or brocoli stalk, then add rice and stir, gradually add the liquid and any other veg, stir every now & then.  Buy some cookery books and get making!

• patty
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

u need to eat tasty healthy food eg low fat recipes

• 1 month ago

you don't have to completely stop, maybe just treat yourself to once or twice a month. I think you'll find that a chicken sandwich made from home may be just as good as a chicken sandwich from a fast food place. fill up on veggies, fruits, protein. exercise. everything in moderation.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Just control your portions when you eat it try not to eat a lot of it, also cut down on how often you eat it, and don't beat yourself up sometimes when people feel bad they turn to junk food and it doesn't help. The less you eat of it the less you will crave it. Cut down first and just avoid eating enough to gain weight it takes 3500 calories to equal a pound of fat.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's not an addiction. You aren't going to go through withdrawals if you stop eating it. It's simply something you enjoy a lot and you don't really want to stop eating it (been there/done that). When controlling your weight means more to you than your next burger (or whatever it is you order at such places), you'll find it not THAT hard to kick the fast food habit for a while. You may also find (I did!) that when you have fast food after that, you enjoy it more (because it's not part of your regular diet, but an occasional treat). 

As with most things in life, most people find they are able to start or stop doing things that are quite important to them. Your weight isn't important enough to you...yet.

Source(s): former obese chick
  • Chris
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Then you don't really want to lose weight.

• Bee V3
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I swear they put chemicals in it that make you addicted. It benefits "the man" for us to get fat and consume

• 1 month ago

Two things to consider:

1. Fast food companies spend millions of dollars creating foods that cause cravings. It isn't an accident; it is a corporate goal.  Not only the taste but the biochemistry that happens when you eat fast food causes you to want to eat it and eat more of it.

2. Beyond the actual desire for the food, that biochemistry works in your brain. Many overweight people use food for comfort or to feel "good" just the way other people take drugs or drink alcohol.  If you are an emotional eater, you're probably draw to get some fast food when you are stressed, tired, bored, upset, lonely, etc.  

Sometimes just knowing and acknowledging the reality give a person enough power to make better choices.  Ultimately, you do have the power within you to make better choices.  Everything we do or eat is either helping us or hurting us.  At some point you can decide that improving your health is worth forgoing regular fast food visits.  

If you really can't stop, then please consider getting some counseling to help you deal with the psychological aspects--or at least read some books on emotional eating.  

• 1 month ago

Probably your body isn't getting what it needs the rest of the time.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.