Do I have insomnia? And is it caused my depression?

All I want to do is sleep but I have a hard time falling asleep when I do fall asleep I never stay asleep throughout the night. I rely heavily on melatonin now to sleep at night and even then sometimes I won’t fall asleep and won’t stay asleep. When I tried sleeping without taking melatonin my heart beats really fast as if I get anxious and I wake up with my heart pounding

• Edna

You have insomnia; so don't try to rely on Melatonin to help you sleep. Melatonin helps you  sleep only when you're having a restless night. Insomnia is caused when your "internal clock" gets out of whack.

See your doctor and he'll probably prescribe the sleeping aid Ambien, and he'll tell you to take one Ambien tablet every night just  before you go to bed, for about 2 months.  Ambien will "re-set" your internal clock and cure your insomnia.

If it continues longer then yes.

Depression is a serious condition that can lead to sleep disorders. Discover the right thing ... This content was created by the National Sleep Foundation. But the relationship is much more than just cause and effect. If depressed people suffer from insomnia, there is a risk of recurrent depression ... Insomnia medication can help you sleep better by acting quickly.

maybe you should get your heart checked if its beating fast, that might stop you from sleeping

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

His heart is beating fast and pounding when he wakes up only because he's stressed and depressed because he can't sleep.

I get his sometimes, definitely not as bad as you. It’s anxiety. Try Benadryl to help you sleep, I use to have to take 6 just to sleep a few hours (NOT recommended of course). Ambien works wonder at falling asleep! I took it for so long that I started being able to wake up just 3 hours later and feel fine (no wonky lethargy or drowsiness).

But depression and anxiety, which go hand in hand, can definitely cause sleep issues and make it very difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep. The best thing to do is tell your doctor. They’ll be able to evaluate you and prescribe a depression or anxiety medication which will help wonders for your sleep! Good luck!

• ?

I had a problem getting to sleep until I started working for a living. I don't know if that has anything to do with your issue, but there's something about responsibility that drives the human brain to desire rest.