Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

I’m worried my family won’t support my engagement..?

I am 20 years old and I’ve been with my boyfriend for 2 1/2 years. He recently proposed to me a couple days ago and a couple family members didn’t react very well to the news. My mom being the main person I’m worried about. She ended up blocking my number. I am not planning to get married for 2 1/2 years so it’s not like I’m running off and getting eloped or something. I’m really upset and stressed out so any advice would really help.. I’m a college student that has 2 jobs and pays her own bills. I guess I’m just not seeing why people can’t be happy for me.

We have no way of knowing why your family is unhappy about the situation.  Hopefully you are making a good choice and your bf is a good person with plans for your future together.  If you mother is so upset, there must be something about him that she disapproves of.  If he's a good man, supports himself and isn't a druggy, then ignore their opinions.  If he has some big issues, maybe listen to their objections and try to see their point.

• kayla1 month agoReport

She says I’m too young which I understand. But at the same time that’s not enough for her to block me. She wants me to go down the same path my older brother went down. I was very lucky to find a man that treats me good and is and has always been respectful to my family. 

What your mother wants is only relevant if it is rational and considered.  I was 21 when I proposed to, and was accepted by, my wife.  Initially my mother in law was a bit concerned.  But we are the ones that are together after nearly 50 wonderful years.  Your mom is not marrying this guy, you are.  And it does have to be right for you.  But ask her directly what her reservations are.  Age alone is not relevant as I know very well.  That is merely an excuse:- a "trump card" to try to push her own view.  Hopefully she will have at least some reason for her opinions.

• kayla1 month agoReport

Thank you so much! Wow 50 years, that’s amazing.