Should I change my doctors appointment because my boss want me to attend a team night out?

So on Friday we have a team charity night out after work hours in London, however I’ve recently started developing chest discomfort which isn’t going away. I’ve had to take time off next month for wisdom tooth removal and previously for a dentist appointment so I don’t want to use up all my holiday for medic reasons.

The only out of hours appointment I could get was 5.30 Friday which would mean I can’t go to the charity event. (We finish work at 4pm fridays) but my bosses might be funny about it and have asked me to change it which I don’t want to do seeing as it’s chest discomfort

Any advice? 

• Roddy

Firstly, your health comes first. Doctor's appointments can be hard to come by these days and one has to grab what one can.

Secondly, all time after nortmal working hours belongs to you and your boss can only very rarely demand that you work at that time, he certainly cannot require you to attend a 'pleasure' function outside hours.

Tell your boss that your health takes priority over charity work.  What kind of sick, sadistic bastard would schedule a charity event on a Friday evening anyhow?

• Eva

Just tell them you weren't able to change it. They can't force you to do something outside work hours if they aren't paying you for it.

Yes, your employment is more important. Are you just guessing about the boss, or know something.

You cannot pay the Doctor, if you are "at liberty*."

Wisdom tooth... Mine only took the afternoon, back to work the next day.

Do you really need the tooth removed, or is it just a suggestion by the DDS.

Are you in pain, Having trouble eating.

Many DDS are pulling them on wives tales, or to pay their Country Club or docking fees.

Charity event, Most are scams... push it.  (Unless you are celebrity or staff).

[* not in prison, not employed"

You are in no way obliged to attend after hours activities, so keep your doctor appointment. No employer has the legal right to interfere with a medical appointment.

• Satan

Your own health is more important - if your boss is 'funny' about it, then they're a crap boss, as their employee's health should be paramount