Can you prove (using science rather than just saying it exists) that homosexuality is a normal thing, rather than an abnormal choice?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Scientists who support homosexuality try to use examples of supposed homosexual behavior in nature to claim that it is "normal." They fail.

The awful truth is that the only known species in which individuals refuse to mate with the opposite sex is human beings. There is a small percentage of captive male sheep that is exclusively homosexual, but captive animals are kept under artificial conditions, and so they are not subject to natural selection. In nature, if an animal refuses to reproduce, then it is quickly eliminated by natural selection because their genes will simply be lost.

Scientists have also been unable to find a gay gene. Identical twin studies show that one twin may have different sexual preference than the other twin, just like handedness, even though the twins are genetically identical. One twin can be left-handed but the other twin may be right-handed. Left handed parents do not have a greater chance of having left handed children, and gay people do not tend to have more gay children either. Besides, if such a gene (or genes) exists, it will be quickly lost through natural selection.

As a result, most scientists would agree that homosexuality is caused by the environment, not by genetics. One possible cause is imprinting. Many animals imprint on their parents and they remember what their potential mate should look like. For eaxmple, birds raised by parents with dark feathers may look for mates that have dark feathers when they are old enough to mate, even though they may have light colored feathers themselves. Geese raised in captivity are known to imprint upon beach balls, shoes, and even human beings as potential mates. Once imprinted, it is almost impossible to change. Therefore if homosexuality is the result of imprinting, then it is not a choice either. Sexual preference becomes hardwired into the brain, and it can only be changed perhaps by using chemicals and/or electrical shock to erase the memory.

Therefore it is most likely that when children are growing up, a small percentage become imprinted upon the "wrong" gender accidentally as potential mates somehow. We do not yet know how and when imprinting may take place during childhood, but that would seem to be the most logical time period to look for ways that imprinting may take place. BTW, I did a quick search on Google, and found that one neurobiologist came upon a scientific journal article of someone who suffered a memory loos after brain injury, and this person changed his/her sexual orientation. Not much in the way of evidence, but it does show that our brain probably has more to do with sexual orientation than our genes.

• 1 month ago

It'd be difficult to answer this question I think. What is abnormal morally may be considered normal behavior, I guess. Humans are quiet complex, in that we function on both physical and emotional processes, which vary depending on person.

When looking at other organisms in the wild, there are some cases of homosexuality. However, it is not typical because it serves no ecological purpose. In the rare cases of homosexuality, it is typically seen with organisms of higher intellect (using the term not scientifically) and is sort of like a 'fling' per say. Those same animals turn right around and breed as they typically would.

"Do organisms breed for pleasure like humans do?" I think that is the question you should ask. Along with, "why and how does homosexuality exist in humans." In which case I would have to say IDK to any of those questions.

my 2 cents: imho, humans have sex for more than just breeding purposes, and what affects our decision making is both environmental and biological. Between those two choices there are a plethora of other factors which influence people to be who they are and do what they do.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

All I know is that if gender is a social construct, then everything else is 

• 1 month ago

Of course a lot depends on how you define "normal," but Melissa Hines and Gu Li at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom studied the play behavior of thousands of children as young as 3-1/2 years, They found certain behaviors that accurately predicted homosexuality later in life.  Would you say that young children--hardly more than toddlers--are making "abnormal choices"?  Maybe they should be shipped off to conversion centers and held in cages like the migrant children whom Trump ripped from the arms of their mothers at the border.  Please, enlighten us with your Christian opinion.  

• ...Show all comments
    • sarita m1 month agoReport

And btw, I'm not Christian, so there goes your theory.  Further, why do Christians bother you?  And if you seek who held children in cages, the most famous leftist fact-checker admits Obama did what you blame Trump for:  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-build-cages-immigrants/

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

"Normal" and "abnormal" are not scientific concepts, at least not as you're using them here. Science does not dictate morality. Science is about observation and explanation. We can tell you how often different types of sexual behavior are observed under different conditions. We can provide context and predictions about how these behaviors affect species evolutionarily. We do not claim to be able to dictate right and wrong.

Those are not scientific questions, and by trying to foist them into the realm of science, you are refusing to take responsibility for your own personal moral stances. If you choose to hate a group of people, that is 100% on you. You can't shift the responsibility onto "science". Neither can you cherry-pick a set of facts and use it to pretend that your personal morality is supported by science.

You wanna be a bigot, man up and own it. Don't act like you're being forced to. That's cowardly (my personal opinion; not scientific fact).

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

How about you randomly ask a few hundred people whether/when they made the choice to become heterosexual or homosexual and then come back to us?

Homosexuality has been observed in hundreds of species, and it doesn't affect the survival of the *species* so nature doesn't mind

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Sure, but you wouldn't get it.....you're what's known as a hopeless case and imminently disposable.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

"There are also animals whose males (DNA-tested males) get pregnant. For example, seahorses, yet among humans that's not the case"

It's not the case among giraffes, dolphins, penguins or most of the examples I provided. Or are you telling me these species can get pregnant from male on male relations? And you don't need to read Wikipedia just open the cited papers. For examples concerning giraffes read Coe MJ (1967). ""Necking" behavior in the giraffe". Journal of Zoology. 151 (3): 313–321. 

I never mentioned anything about politics. You should check your own biases before accusing others of having one.

//

Yeah just google homosexual behavior in animals.

An estimated one-quarter of all black swans pairings are of males.

Mallards have rates of male-male sexual activity that are unusually high for birds, in some cases, as high as 19% of all pairs in a population.

Penguins have been observed to engage in homosexual behaviour since at least as early as 1911.

Courtship, mounting, and full anal penetration between bulls has been noted to occur among American bison. 

More than 20 species of bat have been documented to engage in homosexual behavior.

Dolphins of several species engage in homosexual acts, though it is best studied in the bottlenose dolphins.

African and Asian (elephant) males will engage in same-sex bonding and mounting.

Male giraffes have been observed to engage in remarkably high frequencies of homosexual behavior. After aggressive "necking", it is common for two male giraffes to caress and court each other, leading up to mounting and climax. 

etc etc

• ...Show all comments
    • Smeghead
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Seahorse males do not get pregnant. They simply carry the fertilized eggs in a pouch. That's not the same thing.

• 1 month ago

Yes, I can prove it by assessing myself, I'm a heterosexual and no amount of alcohol would make me gay - so it's exactly the same for gay people only the opposite way around. If anyone can make a choice then they are bisexual.

• 1 month ago

See the thing is, I only use weird science to make gorgeous women out of dolls and whatnot.

Other than that, my gaydar unfortunately doesn't work very well.

• 1 month ago

Only if you can prove heterosexuality is normal. PROVE, not just theorise. Prove. Idiot.

• ...Show all comments
    • Ted K
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

First, YOU prove that the behavior you describe is at the ends.  You haven't done that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.