Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

How do I ignore this and not let it get to me?

Someone keeps telling me that I look ordinary and average and keeps indirectly suggesting that I do not look beautiful.

It hurts because I've never been in a relationship in my life and I'm in my mid twenties. They KNOW this too. It like they just do not care.

I could wake up, look in the mirror and feel happy with my appearance then later that day they suggest I do not look good by I directly suggesting that these other people look amazing not ordinary like me. And so by the end of the day I feel unhappy with my appearance.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but when people around you keep trying to out you down over your appearance, it starts to get hard to be happy with how you look.

• Lisa M

Gee whiz. What a jerk. I'm sure you're not just average looking. And even if you were ugly to that person, you could be absolutely beautiful to another. This person's opinion or taste in people is not the be all and end all. Besides, if all that person cares about is looks, then I suggest, like others on here, that you cut him out of your life. Why's he around anyway if your image to him is so distasteful? I guess just to insult you.

I think it's time to cut that person out of your life. You're not ordinary or unattractive. They're just insecure and when they see you happy they're threatened by that because they can't stand to see you happy when they feel bad about themselves and they know their self esteem is non existent. It's everything to do with them and NOTHING to do with you. Not yelling just emphasizing that they're just a miserable person and you don't need to be around people who bring you down. Also you not having been in a relationship has nothing to do with your looks i think that's more about your shyness. It's hard for shy people to get into a relationship because they tend to avoid people and you can't get to know someone you like if you avoid people. But yeah just cut people out of your life because you can't be around people who try to bring you down and still feel good about yourself. This person is toxic. Cut them off.

Kick them out of your life immediately,They're toxic,evil people who enjoy your unhappiness.

This person enjoys your pain.   Dump him or her immediately.

• Liz

(Proverbs 18:24) "There are companions ready to crush one another, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." That person shows himself to be the first half of this verse. Perhaps you need to find another friend who will uplift you with positive words. Also, leave the subject of looks out of conversations and find other topics.

Source(s): jw.org
  • susan

I used to have a friend that wouldn't stop commenting on my appearance. I used to ignore it, but later when our friendship had some cracks in it, I found I couldn't ignore it anymore. It sounds like that's the point you've reached. 

Next I tried pretty hard to teach her to knock it off. I asked nicely, a reminded her patiently, I pleaded with her, and I became insistent with her. None of it stopped her habit. No man ever made me feel as objectified as that one woman did, with her constant running commentary. 

I had to cut her loose. Honestly, I only hung in as long as I did because she came as a package deal with a whole "posse" of my 6 closest friends. But I did it anyway. It was worth it. You need someone who keeps you on edge and always self conscious and judged- about as much as you need a bowling ball dropped on your head (to paraphrase a Superchick song.) It took me a while to get her out of my head, but the first step was to stop spending any time with her at all. Life is too short for that kind of s---.

You need to cut them out of your life. I know its easier said than done but if someone makes you feel terrible then you will be better off without them. It isn't easy but if you think you're pretty (which I'm sure you are) then no-one else's opinion matters. As for relationships, I think it could be a good thing. You don't have awkward history with people you know, if you do want a relationship then it may be best that you're dating when you are mature and can make responsible decisions. Anyone who puts you down doesn't deserve your company.

Uh.....dear, I hope you don't consider this person a friend, do you?? Because this person is mean, cruel and hates you!!

Get away from this person!!

Are they perfect?  I bet they are not.  You could try saying something like:

So, what would you suggest I could do to improve?  And maybe, they might have some useful tips.  You could just tell them that as you are happy with your appearance, they should stop being a beatch and leave you alone.

Try not to let them get at you.  No one is perfect and there is someone out there who will love you for who you are.

• Lisa M
      1 month agoReport

I doubt they have useful tips. They need this person to believe he/she is ugly so they can torment them further. 

They keep doing it because it bothers you and they are a jerk. Just smile, and ignore them, and don't worry about it (easier said than done, but what do you care what some jerk thinks anyhow?). The second it stops bothering you, and they realize this, is the second they'll stop doing it.