Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Should I get an exercise bike?

I need some way to do cardio indoors during the winter but it’s such a big investment.

I don't know what you "should" and neither does anyone else. This is a personal decision based on your budget. You can also check out craigslist and other local sales venues online for a used exercise bike. That could save you a lot of money. People buy those things and then lose interest

Only if you love cycling/spinning and will do it.  There are a lot of exercise bikes, treadmills, and other equipment collecting dust.  

I'd suggest you start by trying a streaming or DVD aerobic workout.  You can find some on YouTube or subscribe to a service like BeachBody on Demand that has dozens of different instructors and types of programs for all fitness levels.    You can also purchase a DVD or get some from your public library.  The cost is less than any equipment and doesn't take up space in your home.  

If you won't follow a class on a DVD, you probably will get bored or unmotivated using any type of equipment while watching TV or Netflix, so before you invest, see if you can motivate yourself to follow a 30 minute workout (dance, kickboxing, Zumba, or whatever).  

• .

You could, or a treadmill, or an elliptical, or just workout to cardio videos that don't require equipment.

.

I picked up a basic (no digital readouts) used treadmill a few years ago from a Facebook sales group, for $50. A couple had just moved to my area and decided to join a gym, so I got the treadmill for cheap. I bought a new combination exercise bike/elliptical machine from walmart.com for $125 (also a few  years ago). You can find exercise bikes and other fitness equipment the same way (facebook, craigslist, yard sales, re-sale stores, etc). Exercise equipment for home use doesn't have to set you back a lot of money.

thats up to you