Thinking of quitting my job I keep getting sick ?

I teach1st grade. This is my 3rd year teaching and I’ve never been sick this much! I’m on my 3rd round of the flu. I’ve had the flu shot, I wipe down all my students desks, I wash my hands, I drink vitamin C every morning, I use hand sanitizer. 

What disgusts me is the way the district is handling things. This is something new our district has started this year. They want teachers to encourage students to use the hand sanitizer stations around the school instead of the bathroom sinks even after using the restroom I’ve been talked to for telling my students to wash their hands in the sink prior to eating lunch. There was a time when our boys bathroom sinks were broken and they had NO hand sanitizer. I gave all my kids my little pocket hand sanitizer and I got yelled at because the sanitizer I used was alcohol based.

There has been a stomach virus going around. 2 of my students threw up this morning. I got yelled at by the nurse for sending the kids there. The rule is a child has to throw up or have diarrhea 3 times in one day in order to go home sick or has to have a fever of 101.5 or higher.

I’m so tired of getting sick. I’m really thinking of quitting and finding a new district to work for next year. I’m honestly at the point where I’m ready to walk out mid year. Any advice? 

• Kyle

teachers will always be needed.  i would look for another district that is better funded. get a part time job in the meantime so you can still earn some money.  nows the time to look for another teaching job too.  so you can hopefully get one before next fall.

Grow the heck up.

Find a job you prefer. Quit when you have a new job. Try not to leave your current school in a problem situation, it would be best if you could wait until the year was over, but maybe that's not possible and teachers do sometimes quit mid-year, but I'd at least make sure I had a new job before moving on.

The hand sanitizers are the problem. Most of the ones you buy in store are about 60% which is not that effective. 70% is what you want. It’s what hospitals and labs use when they need to sanitize something. When you’re at the hospital and you see a hand sanitizer, they’re not the ones you buy in stores because they’re not string enough.

Has those companies ever done a study to prove how effective they are. No. They just say it kills germs, which is correct. But is it 1% or 99%.