Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Is earth prepared for an asteroid or we don't have the technology yet to blow it up?

I wonder what would be different about earth 50 - 100 years from now.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

We have no way to blow up or deflect an asteroid.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Technically we have the means now to see a big one coming

But we are falling short of ways in which to destroy or deflect it

Given that a larger one would be spotted sooner, we could find the impact Zone and move people away

• Ronald 7
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

We are talking about the Future

• 1 month ago

Earth is prepared. It has been asteroided many times in the past, and came through intact.

Things will be tough for any remnant human population that is in existence in the century from now when such an event is likely to happen.

• 1 month ago

You wouldn't want to blow an asteroid up because that would just cause lots of smaller rocks to fall on us rather than one big one. The solution would be to divert it. And no we're not, because the human race is not organised or unified.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

A planet killer,,you put your head between your legs and kiss your aasss goodby.

• Ronald 7
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I put my head between my knees and lean forward......That is hoe I roll

• When the time comes we will send our space cowboys up and take care of the jobs.  Nothing to worry about.

• 1 month ago

No, and blowing up an asteroid will not keep the pieces of the asteroid from impacting Earth over a much larger area possibly causing tsunamis if large pieces impact in  water. This is why pandemic ignorance may be why humans destroy themselves. In the next 5 years. I very likely will be dead for several decades. 50 years from now i would be approaching my 117th birthday. I ha e no children or grandchildren or great grandchildren to worry about. 

• 1 month ago

No. We can barely launch a tiny probe into space. We are nowhere near being able to change the course of asteroids. 

Blowing it up is not a good idea. The pieces would still hit Earth. We would have thousands of impacts instead of one. 

• Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.  And blowing it up is not a sensible option.  All you get is lots of smaller meteors all still going in the same direction and hitting the Earth anyway.  That hardly makes anything better!  Oh yes, the technology exists to do it, but it would be a completely dumb thing to do.

The only practical answer is, if we find out about one heading our way soon enough, push it out of the way so it misses us.  Which we can't do yet and in any case, we haven't identified all the little ones that are still big enough to be dangerous.  Small ones can be bad just because of their speed.  A not too big mass times a big speed squared = a LOT of energy, and it's the energy that counts.

Consider the Chelyabinsk meteorite of 2013.  Nobody saw that coming as it was only about the size of a bus and fortunately it didn't land ON the town, but it landed close enough for the shock wave to blow out a huge number of windows and cause over a thousand injuries from flying glass. Fortunately on average one this big hits about once a century.

So blowing it up doesn't work unless your bomb is powerful enough to pulverise it to dust, because all the bits will still have enough kinetic energy to keep coming at us.  

An example of the same thing is the Mars manned mission poop problem.  Just one of the many problems to solve is if it's going to take, say, a year to get to Mars, all the astronauts are going to produce a year's worth of poop each and what do you do with it?  Throwing it out of the spaceship is no good because it shares the spaceship's momentum and will just travel along with them.  Then when they land, so does several hundred pounds of poop all around them.  My guess is this will not be ideal.  We need another solution, preferably involving recycling it.

• 1 month ago

Deflection is better than nuking an asteroid.  Also no use of military bombs in space, by treaty.

Better is to deflect by tractor rockets, gravity attraction to a satellite, or paint blobs to give a sunlight push.

As far as when--no chance if it is an unexpected rock from far away and fast moving, like a couple recent non-solar system asteroid visitors, or a new comet coming at high velocity.  Anything as big as Manhattan Island, or smaller, like Statue of Liberty, traveling at more than 100,000 mph relative to Earth would be a serious situation.  Even a water impact would not be very nice for land animals (and humans, of course).

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.