Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 1 month ago

They say don't mix battery brands any real truth to it ?

I purchased two packs of rechargeable batteries both AA one Energizer other Duracell.  They are being using in a Energizer flashlight.  The flashlight requires six AA batteries.  One side I put three Engerizer other side I put three Duracell.  At the time of purchase for the batteries they were out of six packs so I had to buy a mixture of both. 

I would think that I am safe since three of each brand are with each other in two different chambers. 

No truth to it as long all the batteries are the same type like alkaline.

• lare

when you have multiple cells in a device, you get the longest service life if all cells deplete evenly. this is more apt to happen if all are replaced at the same time. being the same brand would be preferred but is not essential.

There are good reasons to not mix brands. 

Each cell is different from others made in the same production batch, 

and any cell from any brand is likely to be far more different than that 

from one made by a different company. 

The caution was originally aimed at primary (single-use) cells, 

but secondary (rechargeable) cells are even more dependent on correct usage. 

In other words, for the best possible outcome, 

use Only sets of cells from the Same Batch of the Same Brand together, 

and if your charger requires that you do two cells at a time, 

keep the pairs matched.     

I number pairs of cells for these and other reasons. 

• spacemissing
      1 month agoReport

Voted down by IDIOTS. You people who don't know this stuff need to stay away from it. 

CORRECTION:

DON'T MIX BATTERY THAT HAS TOO MUCH DIFFERENCE ON AH RATE !

As you mix a battery rated 800mAh with 2500mAH,, The result becomes the 800mAH one drains out first but the 2500mAH one still full. Also maximum current can be provided is limited by the small 800mAH one.

• khalil

1- they are in series so you are wrong.

2- different brands may be in different capacities ... mah ... so they say .. do not mix different brand s ... if they are in the same capacities, no matter mixing.

You will be limited to the capacity of the smaller battery; If you carry on the discharged battery will have current pulled through it by the other cells, and that isn't good for a long life

I think it's a lot of marketing hype.

I mixed batteries once I noticed that one 2300 MaH the other one was 2500 MaH.  That was the only difference I noticed I really had no issue.  obviously I would rather have the same brand that way they're both 2500 might last a little bit longer.

• Edwena

I think what happens is that you will not maximize the usage. Different brands discharge differently, so one brand will discharge faster than the other. If it were all one brand, the difference is less and so your usage will last longer, or more consistent. Weak link concept.