What can I use to clean a rusty looking WWII German soldiers dog tag?

I have a question that hopefully someone here can answer...

I recently got a German WWII dog tag that is physically fine but that it looks horrible. I want to use it for a mannequin display but it is really brown and rusted looking. Hard to read the lettering a bit. Is there a way to bring back that aluminum, silver color to it so that it looks way better? Does electrolysis work for something like this? If so, what do you clean it with afterwards? I don't want to scratch it all up with a course brush etc. I have a set up to do electrolysis but I worry about degrading the metal and having it become brittle. Or am I worrying to much. Also, I have seen a product here in the States called, "CLR® CALCIUM, LIME, & RUST REMOVER. Do you think that CLR would be a good product to use. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

• Tavy

The old fashioned way which should work is, leave in a cup of coke cola overnight.

Try bug and tar remover, Goof Off, Silver polish.