Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

How long does it take to be a teacher? ?

So I’m a junior in high school right now and my entire life, I always thought that I wanted to be involved in anything medical. I went from Pediatrician, Neurologist, even going towards Nursing. However, I had a chance to volunteer at a hospital and work with children as an aid basically and the entire time I was doing it, I felt out of place. Don’t get me wrong. I loved the kids and it made me happy that I was about to help them. But did I see myself making a career out of it? Not really. Medical became sort of a disinterest since that moment. I always looked up to my teachers and wondered what it would be like to have that kind of authority over someone’s future. Teaching became the most interest to me and I’ve even applied for a teaching internship for my senior year. So the question before going off to college is, how long does it take for me to become a teacher? I’m aiming towards high school biology and I think it would be kind of nice for me to return to my high school and educate future students. 

Most states just require a bachelor's degree in anything, which can take 3+ years, it depends on your desire to put in the work. After that, most credential programs are only a year. It's a year of hard work, but so so worth it. If you are leaning towards science in any manner, I would recommend a bachelor's that is more on the science side, sometimes it can take care of certain requirements later on. It all depends on the state you're in though.

Source(s): I have gone through the credentialing process in California and looked into other states after a possibility of relocating.

You need ''A degree in any field.''

• Elaine

It depends on the educational jurisdiction.  You will need a university degree in a "teachable" subject as well as a B Ed. or its equivalent.  Some university require the student to complete a BA or B Sc before entering the Faculty of Ed programme.  Some universities allow the student to work on both the BA and B Ed at the same time.  BA and B Sc degrees require 3 years (undergrad degrees)  and BA(Hons) and B Sc(Hons) are 4 year degrees. For subjects such as trades taught in schools require  their own diplomas and degrees which may be earned through a community college. . 

The requirements vary from state to state. My state requires a 4 year bachelor's degree, and then a 1 year Masters in the Art of Teaching. HOWEVER, science and math teachers are in such demand that the state will often grant a waiver, so the person can start teaching and take a few years to get the education courses for the MAT. Look up the requirements in your state. 

• drip

You can get a teaching job with a four year Bachelor degree. 

• y

State law comes into play in this area, as well as district requirements which differ in the same states.