Why are 18 year olds, in the United States, considered adults for most purposes, such as dying in the military, but not others?

• ?

Equal opportunity for all...

Coldly speaking and understanding such insanity, meat-bags are... 

In our society we do not have the rights and privilege's of adulthood all thrust upon us at once, but sort of delivered in graduated stages.  It's because we are human and we're spoiled in our society to boot, and we're not ready for it all at once.

But oddly enough, the most dangerous privilege we are granted also comes at the youngest age, the license to drive at 16, and even 14 in some states.

We are considered emancipated at 18 and this is the age we assume the most responsible thing we ever do, and that is to vote.  But we can also do things like sign contracts and get married, things we really don't know a lot about that can have life-long consequences.

And we can also go get shot and killed via the military, which as a parent I always thought was a horrible thing to do to our children, even though I was in the military when I was 18 also.

The biggest complaint most young people have about this situation is "I'm old enough to go kill someone for my country, but I can't buy a beer or a smoke!"  I get it, I remember sitting in a restaurant with my wife and child and in my uniform and being unable to buy a drink because I was only 20.  It doesn't seem right.

But here is where history comes in.  History shows young people are perfectly capable of doing tremendously dangerous things when they're 18 to 20, including making critical shoot-no shoot decisions.  But those same people still can't resist getting shoot-faced if given the chance and doing something stupid such as driving away in a car.  It is one of the truths of life that most of us are incapable of maturely handling our liquor when we're young like that.  I think the drinking age should be raised to 24 or 25, actually, because of that.

• L

ALL 18-year olds are considered adults - NOT just those in the military.

It is the good old fashioned liberal double standard. They want them to fight the wars and to give them their votes but do not want them drinking or buying guns. They are the second class adults of America.

Read some of the questions these 18 to 20 yr old morons ask on Answer.You'll then have the whole concept

Look into odd eccentricities in American laws and you will see the common root of lobbyists. In the 80s, there was a large movement to reduce drinking related road accidents. The drinking age was once decided by the state goverment, not federals. This resulted in differing drinking ages which men young adults would drive to different states, drink and then drive back home resulting in the obvious casualties. So the Federal goverment decide to implement a national drinking age of 21 because of lobbyists. Not 18 like everywhere else and emphasise education, law enforcement and stigmatising drunk driving like everywhere else (which happened but should have been pushed first) America went 21 because that's what the lobbyists wanted. Even throw in threatening to reduce state highway funding if the states don't comply and voila: an adult who can go to war but can't have a beer. And if you look into the new smoking laws, I bet you you'll find the exact same root.

Legally an adult, mentally, definitely not. Most 18 years old are nowhere near a true adult. People even only refer to a persons 20s as the beta testing phase of their adulthood, where they're getting used to what being an adult means. An 18 year old has no idea what being an adult means, though some may like to pretend they do. The priority in the minds of most 18 year old "adults" is, "omg, freedom". They'll be well on their way to growing up when they realize how far from adult they actually are. 

I don't know. I've never understood that. You are an adult, or you aren't. The age should be the same across the board. It's stupid that you can join the military,  or take out a mortgage  at 18, but can't buy a beer or pack of smokes until 21. Makes  no sense at all.

It's all about  the freedoms Americans enjoy that the rest of the World don't.