How do I convince my parents to renovate the basement so I can move in?

I'm 18 years old and I am currently living at home with my parents while attending community college. My bedroom is right next to my parents which I wouldn't have a problem with, except every night they both snore so loud (though it's mostly my dad), that I can hear them from my room. At first, this wasn't a problem, as normally both our doors would be closed and my fan would be on max speed. But lately, it's gotten worse, and I've tried everything. Point is, if I want a good night's sleep, I need to move into the basement where I can't hear them. I've calculated the costs of the renovation and the insulation, wall framing, drywall, and carpeting both the floor and stairs would cost anywhere from $6,980-$8,375. I realize this is expensive, however, the basement is currently being used to store things that no one would miss if they were sold. What else should I tell them?

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions that I just move out. Believe me, if I could move out I would. However, my parents don't think I'm "ready" to live on my own and they're not going to allow me to move out. 

Also, I never said that they would have to pay for the whole thing, I would be more than willing to raise some money and help pitch in. Heck, if I could I'd pay for the whole thing myself 

Favorite Answer

Yes snoring can be a problem, the least of which is noise. But trust me on this one. Here is an unofficial diagnosis. If you hear snoring through the walls there is a possibility your dad has sleep apnea, High blood pressure, and may be overweight. Before he spends that much to convert the basement invest in a sleep apnea machine and a so clean sanitizing machine.

If you need to determine the cost for both they are about $ I,200. US.

This will reduce his noise making, reduce his blood pressure, and lessen the A1C. Reading which can lead to diabetes.

maybe you can move there anyways without renovating it

• Edna

Since you say you're willing to pay for the whole thing yourself, then do so. You pay all the costs of renovating the basement, and then you move into it. 

Im' sure your parents wouldn't mind having the basement renovated it you paid for it.

• PAMELA

Move out if you cannot stand the snoring, or wear earplugs

• edward

let them know they are being loud

One approach would be to promote the idea of a family office in your old room. Your dad and mom could pay bills, plan projects and do family budgets there, and you would have a place to read and study in peace. And there's a lot of work the family can do to create your place of exile in the basement.

So let me get this straight here: You are a guest in their home, and are tired of them having sex, so your solution is demand they fork out $8000 to renovate the basement just so you can have a place to yourself?

I don't even know your parents and even I would say its a very safe bet this would NOT go over well with them at all! You approach them like that? Yea you'll be shot down real quick over it.

The only way you "could" sell them on this, is to explain to them if they were to finish the basement that it would help drive up the value of their home, so that if one day they were to sell, they would make a lot more money. Now, even this is a long shot, but it would be a better chance than you saying "mom and dad I want the basement I don't want to hear u guys ******* at night".

Time to grow up here.... if you want a place of your own, I suggest moving out.

• Stacy4 weeks agoReport

Also they’re not doing the do at night, if that’s what you’re suggesting. My dad has mild sleep apnea, I would bring it up but then he would take it as a personal attack. 

Find two other guys and go rent an apartment. Problem solved.

Offer to pay for the renovation. You're an adult, welcome to adulting.