Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 weeks ago

If flip flop are bad for the feet, then why do parents let their kids wear them?

Podiatrists suggest wearing supportive sneakers instead of flip flops because they claim that flip flops are bad for the feet and are a tripping hazard. If that's the case, then why do parents let their children wear them for long walks. It's amazing when I go to museums, malls and amusement parks where people do a lot of walk and I see their parents and their 3+ children all wearing flip flops. Those poor kids are walking all day without any support whatsoever on their feet. Why do the parents let their kids walk with that kind of footwear?

Favorite Answer

Some parents don't care about the consequences of poor footwear for their offspring.

If people listen to everything podiatrists say, we'd all be wearing silly orthopedic shoes. Flip flops are not dangerous. It's practically like walking barefoot and that is how the human species were meant to walk. If you grew up in warm places like Hawaii or in Asia, everyone there wears flip flops. And there's no studies that show that Hawaiians or Asians have more foot problems than people in other parts of the world.

Well, if they were my kids I would strongly encourage them to wear athletic sandals such as Tevas that has both arch and ankle support.  I am a big sandal wearer and I wear my sandals all day in nice weather, especially on a hot summer day.  Wearing those type of sandals are far better then flip flops.  There are however some flop flops that have arch support and they can support your feet, but you very, very seldom see those type of flip flops.