Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How would you feel?? ?

So you're pregnant for 9 months, during that 9 months your in-laws never come to visit, fast forward baby is just born and you're only home from the hospital, your in-laws want to come visit, how does that make you feel?? 

My husband doesn't seem to understand that this really hurt me and I'm just wondering how any other woman would feel if they were treated this way?? 

Relieved that at least I got a peaceful gestation period before all the crazy showed up. Of course the grandparents want to see the baby. Mine flew 7500 miles when both our kids were born. This is pretty standard stuff.

• Ocimom

I would tell them you need a few weeks alone with the baby to bond and that in a little while they can come see the baby.  I have no clue why they would not come and see you before the baby was born.

Come on now, what could they have really done before the baby was born, clean the house, nah too much racket and you would probably be up trying to cook for them. How far away do they live? Now that the baby is here, they can help look after it. Do you live close to your parents? They been there much? I think you are really making this out to be more than it really is. My wife had our first one at 16, two days after she got home she was up and out of bed, we stayed at her father's house, her folks were all over the place, my mother came down for part of a day, having gks was no big deal for our family they already 20 or so, one of my SIL was there. 

feel pleased and try to make a closer connection with your baby's grandparents

• Carmen

I would feel the same as you do like they are showing natural affection now but didn’t for the last 9 months of you and you’re child life is their a reason they gave why this happened? Pray over matter and your husband lack of compassion or concern on how his parents treated his wife and grandchild congratulations enjoy you new bundle of joy take deep breaths try to keep a calm heart and peace of mind and don’t let them steal anymore of your joy. 

In-laws are complicated. My guess is they don't travel much or are afraid of traveling or don't have much money or somehow got the vibe they weren't especially welcome. Be happy they're finally coming and visiting, even thought it will probably be stressful for you. And congratulations!

Well,if they live far, far away and don't know you well, then I would call that normal.

I don't feel any particular way because it's MY life, MY pregnancy and why do i need in-laws watching me be pregnant? What would they get out of that?

If you're all butt hurt, i guess you can be. But i don't see the point.

i would feel bad about it and i probably wouldnt let them visit

I would expect grandparents to want to meet their grandchild. Beyond that I don't know what kind of relationship you and your husband had with them before. Do they live far away and it's hard/expensive for them to visit? Was it typical for 9 mos to go by before a visit in the past?