Would you trust buying a cellphone off of a website like craigslist or ebay?

You can get a discount, but is it worth the risk?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Craigslist is totally 'caveat emptor'.  But EBay offers some protection.  If someone represents a cellphone as 'working', 'good condition', etc., it has to work or you can return it.  EBay puts all the responsibility on the seller.

• Done3 weeks agoReport

Really good tips man! There is my tip for everyone wonna progress in ways you want yo improve. I tryed smart drags (nootropicboost) and i can say, they really help. You can work much faster and focused. You should really try it out!

• 3 weeks ago

Buy phones, including used ones, ONLY from authorized dealers. 

• 3 weeks ago

Its probably stolen, A old model with problems, Stolen, and comes with NO GUARANTEE.. 

• P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If you buy from a seller with a good reputation on eBay you will be fine since they offer a guarantee, however even on eBay you need to make sure you go through the whole listing and read any condition disclosures.  If the deal is too good to be true it probably is.   Craigslist offers no guarantees and often used by criminals\scammers for phones, so I would stay away from that.   Anything "clean" that can easily be put in a box and shipped will sell on eBay for a much higher amount which is where all the legit deals will be. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I would trust eBay because of the safeguards already put in place in the event the phone doesn't function. The problem rests entirely with the seller. As for Craigslist, you shouldn't go there because there are no safeguards when the phone goes wrong. The buyer will be responsible for making sure it works before purchasing it.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Of course, but I would buy in person on craigslist.  If iphone make sure its not icloud locked -> http://www.justtext.com/messageboards/201710010836...

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If they have a receipt that proves they bought it - and didn't steal it - I might try it.

Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

eBay has some customer protections that make a return possible.  Craig's List is just like buying straight from a private party.  The problem with a phone is whether it works with your carrier (Sprint, Verizon, etc.). 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i might, not everyone is a crook

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.