Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 month ago

Is saying and telling the same thing?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeff
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Saying is the outward sharing of some form of information (e.g. saying how you feel). It’s not intended to share a specific conclusion or direct the listener.

Telling is also an outward sharing of information, but typically includes some form of lesson/conclusion (e.g. telling a story) or direction/instruction (e.g. telling them what to do).

Typically saying something is more subjective and telling something is more objective. That’s why you might hear someone say something like: “I’m not just saying this to humor you, I’m telling you what needs to happen.”

• 1 month ago

This is not a question about Chemistry.  It needs moving to a better category, like

All Categories > Education & Reference > Words & Wordplay

• 1 month ago

not exactly although saying can be telling, and if you tell, you have to say, presumably.  tell means inform.  say means state.  if what you say also informs or commands, it is also telling.  Most of what gets said is not telling.

• 1 month ago

There is a difference in infinitives. When you want to use "say" you must usually connect is with the preposition "to". For example,"I must say to him that…" X "I must tell him that"

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

when you say> you are saying to out loud for example 

and telling you are telling the right answer to somebody for example

• 1 month ago

No.

There's likely many differences in different conversations.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.