What is it with escalators reliability? They seem to be down a lot of the time.?

I walk through a downtown mall with about 15 escalators and almost always one or more is broken, and down for weeks. Just today i saw 3 down.

Is it some sort of scam by the escalator manufacturers? so they make money on service contracts? I'm not a great ME but it seems like you could easily design one to last 20 years or so. After all, a car has many more moving parts, operates at a higher temperature, in poor conditions, yet last 10 years easily.

And It's recent. In the earlier version of that mall, about 1970-90, there were two escalators, outdoors, yet I don't remember them ever being down.

• John

I had a friend who worked for Otis - they do more than just elevators. He said that the cable that pulls the steps around stretches and needs to be tightened frequently, and eventually must be replaced. Our commuter train has them that are indoor-outdoor too, which has it's own problems. Add to that that they are all custom made.... And money is always an issue. My building, where I now sit, has a dead elevator. Permanently out of service because they quit throwing money at it.

• billrussell42
      1 month agoReport

sounds like poor design to me. 

a Part of the problem with elevators and escalators is poor maintenance. The technicians working on them are not properly trained and not very skilled. The companies working on them are cutting costs with cheap parts and doing only what's necessary to get them running again for a few hours. They don't care about reliability, why should they, they get paid for breakdowns.

• billrussell42
      1 month agoReport

true. You would think one of the manufacturers would concentrate on reliability and serviceability and beat out the competition...

It is obviously best to use the stairs if you can. Could it be too many are too weak and overweight and can't use the stairs? This could be the bellwether of national disability. There need to be PSA's "Use the stairs to get more chicks" or something. 

• billrussell42
      1 month agoReport

I so use the stairs. But I think the exaalators' reliability problem is by design.