Whatever asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

What qualifications do I need to become a dog groomer/walker?

I’m thinking about becoming a dog groomer and would quite like to be able to work for myself and was wondering what qualifications I need to become a dog groomer and own a salon and also if there are any intense courses I could do quickly. In the mean time or on the side I’m thinking of becoming a dog walker/sitter for a little bit of extra money and was also wondering if I need any qualifications or insurance. I already have experience working with animals and a DBS check. 

You'd have to go to a trade school that teaches dog grooming, work for several years at a reputable groomer (NOT PetSmart or Petco!!!!!). Mentor with that groomer and learn everything you can.

As far as owning your own salon you clearly don't have a clue how expensive it is to run a business. You need to pay rent, utilities, phone, internet, insurance, taxes, payroll, all the supplies to care for the animals. That's something you do after DECADES of being a groomer.

There are dog grooming schools. Some will rip you off & others are very good. You cannot learn how to do all breed grooming without being taught how to do it. Just don't get scammed.

You should be licensed/permitted, insured, bonded & set up your business taxes. There is lots to set up before you can do business.

In most shops they want you to have 5 yrs experience.

I started out as a Brusher&Bather & was taught how to groom by the shop owner. Took me 6 months but I was still real raw.

that would depend upon which country you live in

WHERE? This isn't Federal Law.

My daughter has a two year degree in animal husbandry/grooming, is licensed, bonded and insured.

My pet walker is trained and certified in pet CPR, is licensed, bonded and insured.

How would I know about "intense courses" when I don't know where you live?

• Maxi

That depends on where in the world you are and what laws are in place for qualifications/licencing.........

Grooming : As a very basic, you would require experience working in a grooming salon and likely a class that gives the basics of animal care and grooming/clipping........and very good professional liability and public liability insurance.

Pet walking: Training and behaviour experience, and very good professional liability and public liability insurance.