Do you go to the doctor or dentist for jaw pain?

I think it's muscular. The pain is around the hinge of the jaw. It's been hurting for months. I hoped it would go away on its own because some days I barely notice it. The pain has gotten quite severe over the last few days. Not sure who to go see. 

• Lili

See a dentist. If warranted, you will be referred to a specialist, since an ordinary dentist (or doctor) can't provide the necessary treatment.

• Tavy

Could be TMJ see your family Doctor.

• Rick

Doctor FIRST ................................

Go see a oral maxillofacial surgeon.  It's a specialist that is both a dentist and doctor and specializes in the jaw.  You usually go to one of these specialist to get complicated wisdom teeth pulled out or jaw surgery.  I wouldn't waste my time with a regular dentist.  

My first choice would be a dentist, but if you don't have a dental insurance and you do have medical insurance, try the doctor first.

Maybe TMJ, there are dentists who specialize in that.