Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 1 month ago

Why do retail price hagglers think they’re above store policy and would stop at nothing to get discounts?

For example, they pick up a regular priced item and the same item on the clearance rack. They bring it up to your register and argue about how both items should be on clearance. But you explain to them that the clearance item could be weeks or months old while the new one just came in yesterday. Sometimes, they argue that they found the same item even cheaper at another location. Then they demand to speak to the manager, who confirms what you just said by explaining the policy even more thoroughly. Then they get angry and threaten to report you to corporate!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Don't let it bother you, just do what you are supposed to do in that situation.  Some people are just really greedy.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need to quit if you hate your customers so much.

• 1 month ago

i would let the managers handle it

• 1 month ago

Why?

Because your store is doing something wrong... if it's the "same item" it should be the same price regardless of whether it came in last week, last month or yesterday.

-- the customer would have no clue what day it came in or how long it's been on the shelf.

-- in fact, you wouldn't know either because if it's the "same item", it has the same bar code.

Next time create a believable story instead of this bs story about it being the "same item".

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe because retail pricing has very little meaning. The discount stores are growing in business in 2018/2019 and standard retailers closing down. Amazon is most successful and everything is discounted.

A retail price is only on a item long enough to legally sell it on sale with a reference price. My average discount in grocery shopping is 40%. Furniture mark-up is 300% to retail.

Who buys automobiles at retail?

We don't haggle necessarily, but in many items we buy on sales and often go store to store.

• 1 month ago

They are wanting to get the best price that they can, even if their "demands" are unrealistic or even result in threats. I see it all the time, and it is nothing new.

Oh, and some times it works.  I've used "the customer is always right" my own self at certain retailers -- some are so accustomed to it they almost expect it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.