On a Resume/CV how many years of work should you include in the employment section or should I put everything? Thanks?

Favorite Answer

Depends on your age. I am 61 & I've only had 3 jobs since 1986 so I use all 3. However, before then I probably had 50! (Before I started a real career). If in your 20's or even 30's you may want to go back to age 18. The goal is to show experience, how long you stayed, what you did & that you don't job hop. Good luck! Definitely you want to show all education regardless of your age though. :)

A lot depends on your age... it is generally acccepted to go back 10-15 years in detail.. If you more years experience, then VERY briefly summarise in a sentence, eg 1980 - 1980 - Graduate role training in management at ABC Company.

After all your CV doesn't want to be too long and what you did at work in 1975 has little, or no bearing, on a role in 2019

That's a tough one.

If your resume is too long, eventually it's going to get boring to read it.

Best is short, sweet, to the point

And most importantly,  related to the job you apply

i would just put all of them

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

Sure, "there was the summer I spent washing dishes at a scout camp in 1972..."  Nobody wants to hear about ALL of them.

A full CV should contain all employment.

However, for most purposes, like getting a job, only the relevant parts (up to five years from the present) should be forwarded. Often, only the last year is enough for a prospective employer to decide to continue the CV in the hiring process.

Remember: effective resumes are at most four pages long!

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

A resume is not a CV. A resume is a short SUMMARY of relevant background for a particular job. A CV is a comprehensive list of what you've done with your life and could go on for many pages.

i would just put everything

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

You would be wrong.

Five years, more if it's very relevant to the job you're applying for, but five years is enough.  

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

Yes, depends upon the jobs and what job you're applying for.  Some may request a CV in addition to a resume, if they want more details about your credentials.