I want to drive trains. I can’t find vacancies. Can I learn to drive trains privately?

I’ve sat the psychometric test before and I passed everything but the interview at the end due to my lack of experience. It’s been a while now and I’m feeling ready for another go but I can’t find any trainee train driving vacancies. Is there anywhere I can get qualified and sit the test again so I can get a job as a qualified driver?

Your best bet would be to contact the different railroad companies n the US.

One does not just get a job as a "driver" for trains. In the US one of the oldest labor groups is the "Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers".

First one needs some one with "pull" to get an  entry level job. This might be a very low level job, but it opens doors.

Please be advised the down turn in the coal industry is hurting the railroads. Out in western Nebraska for example over 100 coal trains ran daily out and an equal number back. Now those trains don't run at all. So there are a lot of locomotive engineers with seniority that will bump the junior men off the run. This means right now is not a good time to get a railroad job (or one in coal mines).

No one, I mean NO ONE just walks into a job as a Locomotive driver off the streets. No school in the world can get you around the simple fact that in railroading seniority with the union is everything!

I doubt it anyone teaches this privately as you would need locomotives and tracks.  Most of the rail companies are advertising for workers as they have a significant shortage, have you asked them how you could get hired and work up to that position?

Probably  have to start as a brakeman or a conductor. Good luck.