Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 months ago

My mom wants me to work with her but I'm in college full time and have my own job.?

My mom is self employed, she dropped out of college so she cleans houses. I am going to a community college so I live at home with my mom and my dad. She asks me all the time to help her clean houses. To help her do her job. I spend my time either doing homework, going to work, or seeing my boyfriend and friends when I can find the time. I have my own responsibilities with school and work, my own bills to pay, etc. Whenever I go on a school break, for example a Christmas break, she asks me to go clean houses with her, even on days when I have to go to my real job right afterwards, taking up my free time. I am 19 in 2 months. I don't want to help her do her job, I don't ask her to come to my job and do half my work, or do half my school work. What should I do?

This basically comes down to whether she's paying for the roof over your head or not. If you're living independently or paying her market rate rent you don't have to do this. But if you're taking advantage of her hospitality for free this is the least you can do.

• Tj

Do not help her. Take care of your needs and responsibility's

just tell her youd like to but dont have time, it might help to move out

Let her know that while you understand she wants help, you have your own responsibilities to tend too. It's the truth, isn't it?

Cleaning homes can be grueling work and the pay isn't that great in most areas. Follow your own dreams.

• Alex

It could be an indirect way of your mom asking you to spend more time with her.  Try this.  Next time she asks you to clean houses with her, say something along the lines of, "No thanks.  But, let's have a girls night..."  Offer to take her to get your nails done together, make cookies together, go to the movies, something so you two can bond over.  See if that appeases her.

Ask your mother to tell you, honestly, how much money is coming into the house and how much is spent. Ask her how tired she is. Ask her what the advantage to her would be to have extra help.

Do you do chores and cooking at home?

Do you do your own laundry?

It's time to move out and do things your own way.