Lapis asked in PetsCats · 10 months ago

Trimming/Cleaning Cat Claws Advice?

I have a 20-24 year old cat. Hes a polydactol so he has what resembles thumbs on his two front paws. I recently noticed he has a claw growing BETWEEN two of his toes and its grown into his paw, and is basicaly a circle and doesnt even resemble a claw at this point.

My mom and I are going to clip it today, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning his paw afterwards?

Get your cat to the vet and have them remove it. The claw is imbedded in the pad and likely infected. Tons of bacteria in litter boxes. Do nothing and this cat could end up losing its toe or even it's entire paw if the infection spread.

Why the **** haven't you been regularly clipping this cat's claws? No way in Hell this happened over a couple weeks and this poor cat is probably in a great deal of pain.

• Laura

I recommend a vet trim this claw.  His paw is wounded because the claw is growing into his skin.  He needs the area trimmed of hair and cleaned with standard wound care so it doesn't get infected. 

Because the claw has been growing for such a long time the quick of the nail is probably very long.  There is a good chance you will cut this, which will cause a ton of pain and cause him to bleed from the claw.