Why has it become a necessity to support Gay rights?

If a simple question like this gets you triggered, don't answer. I don't support Gay rights, so I'm automatically a bigot and a homophobe even though I'm not protesting against it. It's like people can't have an opinion these days. I see Gay people as human beings, respect them like anybody else but my sense of morality does not support the idea of being gay. I have friends and family who are gay but that doesn't make me respect them less or treat them any different. But if I said I supported Gay rights I would be lying to myself and discarding my own feelings. In my heart, I know that I don't support Gay rights. I just want to understand why the internet and the media is forcing me to like something I don't. I don't want to hate gay people but people calling me a homophobe and a bigot and saying I voted for Trump even though I'm not from or living in the US, when I say I'm not supportive of gay rights just really makes me angry. Why are people so defensive and easily triggered when I simply say I don't support Gay rights? It's almost like you just have to support Gay rights or else you're not cool and everyone will attack you for it.

Favorite Answer

I don't know, they have "sold" the concept of sexual orientation to our entire society, yet there is NO definitive proof that there even is a sexual orientation. But if any of us disagree with the LGBT................oh boy out comes the hate and bigotry complaint from them. The LGBT is slightly "out of reality" that says everyone must line up and endorse their life. I'm sure they wouldn't endorse my Christianity, but yet we have to endorse their beliefs...............IT'S CALLED AGREEING TO DISAGREE, they are not going to accept this.

The fact is, that in the U.S. society about 70% of our nation doesn't really agree with the LGBT and the various "orientations". Of those 70%, only 10% are vocal about being against it, generally fundamentalists of various kinds. the other 90% don't agree with it but choose to not make "waves" about it. Taking the approach that.... You live your life, let me live mine. Including a majority of even evangelicals. THE QUESTION WHY CAN'T THE LGBT JUST ACCEPT THIS AND MOVE ON??

I mean, not supporting gay rights is straight up saying they don’t have the same rights as other people so... yeah you’re kinda an asshole sorry not sorry

You say that it makes you angry to be called a homophobe and a bigot.

Who is getting 'triggered' again?

Saying you are not homophobic but don't think gay people should have equal rights is like saying you are not racist but you don't think black people should have equal rights. That's why people get mad. Everyone can have their own opinion but everyone else has the right to call out how shi**y other people are. 

The very fact that you find a need to seek approval says you don't approve of your own stand. Lets consider what you say.

I could express the same logic towards the Catholic faith. The thing is if I had no interest in supporting Catholics then that is all I need to do, but to have to sit around and ponder my stand and put it out there for public debate says its no longer just an opinion. The only way anyone could enter into a discussion with you over homosexuality is if you enter into it.

Yet in all that, I just don't get why you would get upset simply because I and others who think gays should be treated with dignity and respect, we think negatively of you.

It's not good to be homophobic, which is what you are, any more than it's good to be racist or sexist. However, it's possible that you have had a traumatic experience in your past with someone who happened to be gay, such as one of your parents coming out of the closet and leaving the other, which would make it understandable. Nonetheless you do need to try to overcome it and start to behave more decently and respectfully because it is a major problem.

• Cogito

If you're a decent, educated human being you would support the rights of all humans.  It's not immoral to be gay.  Why would you think it's acceptable to deny a section of society the same rights as the rest?

It's not a matter of being 'cool'.  It's a matter of equality, justice and fairness.  

Morals, are immaterial, Being LGBT, is a natural congenital condition, and many animal species have LG members. (of which humans are one such species)

• "It's like people can't have an opinion these days."

You can't have it both ways. You say you respect gay people, but you don't support equality for them.

.

The problem is tribalism and the fascism it brings. There are only two sports teams, "100% LBGT Ally" or "100% LGBT  Opponent" you cannot say "I am a centrist" or even use your brain to claim "Look, I agree with you on X, Y but I don't agree with Z" you're either 100% for or 100% against.

This dual FASCISM only furthers the division and the hatred that both people have.

Source(s): FASCISM is bad, but it's the world we live in, where everyone is openly fascist and they only claim "no we're okay, it's the other side that is the problem"
    • Rodney James
      1 month agoReport

Well, then there are people like me, whom are 110% LGBT supporters.