Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

non-racist white people, what do you do when your white friends are racist?

I have a new friend of mine in grad school who is really kind and nice to me, asked me to lunch several occasions. I was scrolling through her instagram/facebook as I always do when meeting someone new and I noticed her two best friends from undergrad's profiles are nothing but political spew on how Obama was a terrorist because of his last name and other racially charged things. My question is, is it plausible to think my friend DOESN'T take part in that/shares those beliefs DESPITE how incredibly close they are

Buy Active Instagram followers from https://followfans.com

Perhaps because I live in the most liberal place in the country I can't say I've ever had an openly racist friend. But I do understand that in some other places this IS a thing. If I did meet someone who said things like that I'd certainly be reconsidering the friendship.

I know a few people, including my own son who are racist. My son wasn't raised like that, so i am assuming his attitude came from society. He's not a conservative, he liked Obama, but he has a racist twist with other people which I can't do anything about. If he wants to appear ignorant, i guess it's his own choice.

I don't take part in other people's opinions - especially when i find them demeaning or ignorant.

Probably just sit back and let them be racists cause they think mayonnaise is spicy 

Get educated about what racism actually is before making a complete fool of yourself

Could be, as a lot if friends have different takes on sensitive issues and can still respect each other for other components of the relationship. They often have an understanding between each other. You’ll know in time as you get to know her better.