Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Would you throw out a crappy, badly thought but well meaning xmas gift given to you?

Friend gave me a “build your own cardboard pug”

Random.. Im not a pug enthusiast..

She meant it as quirky but its odd!??

I want to throw it out.. should I?

She also gave me a figurine from a charity store with one arm missing..

I am not entitled and expect nothing.

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

I'd donate them to another charity shop.  But not one from which your friend may have purchased the figurine!

I can see if you passed it on.

Give to someone,unwrapped.

• Jerry

It's OK to take a well meant but unwanted gift and "put it away until Summer when I go visit my cousins" or whatever. Then quietly "disappear" it. If asked about it, you can "have forgotten where you put it" or be unable to find it.

If you live in a small town, it might be best to donate unwanted gifts to a thrift shop in the big city. You'd hate for your friend to come across her gift at your local charity shop. 

There is no obligation for you to keep this gift, as the sentiment can remain long after the gift has been passed along.

Possibly. I usually round up things I don't want anymore and donate them to the Salvation Army down the road, but sometimes I am lazy and just throw it away.

• Ludwig

No. I would give it to a charity shop. That is what they are for.

You are lucky you get anything considering how unattractive and shallow you are.

• Jeff

I would donate it to a child who doesn’t get Christmas presents and would be grateful for anything they get instead of complaining on the internet that they didn’t get a well thought out gift.

This friend was probably testing your entitlement.